[EMAS] Late Migration Surge on the Blue Ridge Parkway - Biggest Day Yet

  • From: Marilyn Westphal <mjwestph@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: carolinabirds <carolinabirds@xxxxxxxx>, "emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Audubon Society" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 19:19:01 -0400

Mark and I had a huge surge of migrants crossing over the ridge at Craggy
Gardens this morning.  I don't think I've ever had such a large surge this
late before.  From 7:50 to 10:30am we counted 2,689 birds crossing over
from east to west in a fairly steady stream averaging 16-17 per minute.
Most just flew over before we could identify them, but we did identify well
over 200 of them and the most common bird was Bay-breasted Warbler - 51,
followed by Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 37, Tennessee Warbler - 34,
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 34, Swainson's Thrush - 18, Black-throated Blue
Warbler - 17, Black-throated Green Warbler - 13, then 2 Nashville Warblers,
1 Common Yellowthroat, 1 Cape May Warbler, 1 Yellow-throated Vireo, and 1
Scarlet Tanager.  There was also a Ruffed Grouse drumming nearby on and off
for about an hour adding to the ambience.

Then we went up to Ridge Junction to see if anything was going on there,
but it was quiet, then up to Stepp's Gap at Mt Mitchell State Park and
there was still movement there, also east to west.  Again, Bay-breasted
Warbler was the most common species at that location.  They are usually one
of the later warbler migrants, but this was the most I have ever seen in
one day.

It was quite a beautiful day, too. Leaves are turning color, especially at
the higher elevations, and they are approaching peak at Mt Mitchell.
Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be a few days before we can get up there
again.
Marilyn
--
Marilyn Westphal