[EMAS] Lake Junaluska Low Down 3/2

  • From: alan lenk <adlenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EMAS <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 04:25:42 -0800 (PST)

As many of you probably know Lake Junaluska is experiencing a major draw down
of the water.  Less than half the lake has water in it and the mud flats
exposed aren't pretty.  A passer by said this is normal this time of year and
allows dredging to remove silt from the lake.  In addition to the usual water
birds commonly seen at our local lakes and ponds, I have attached a few of the
more interesting species observed, at least to me.

Though common, a few Great Blue Herons were flying by.  An odd bird came in for
a landing, I suspect this is Graylag Goose of some kind.  Please help me out
with this ID.  Hooded Mergansers were fairly plentiful and always make a
handsome pair.    I believe the next species is a Common Merganser, it was very
distant and hard to tell.  Perhaps the highlight of the day was Golden Eagle
circling overhead.  And a first for me was seeing a Ruddy Duck!  Feel free to
correct any mis-identifications.  I am fairly new to learning the ducks and
other water birds.

Take care,

Alan Lenk