[EMAS] FOY birds - West Asheville and Blue Ridge Parkway

  • From: Jamie Harrelson <jharrelson84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EMAS Sightings <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 10:55:01 -0400

I had my FOY Gray Catbird on 4/26 here in our yard in West Asheville. I had
been working inside and heard a bird song that sounded out of place, so
went out in the yard and got a new yard bird: Common Yellowthroat! While
out looking at the COYE, I heard the catbird singing and mewing nearby.

On Sunday, I joined a large group for a bird walk sponsored by the UNCA
Biology department and led by Dr. Jim Petranka. (The department holds an
annual Wildflower and Bird Pilgrimage in the spring, with lots of bird and
wildflower walks throughout the area, plus two evening presentations on
campus. It's always a great time!) We walked on the Mountains to Sea Trail
north from Craven Gap, and then north from Bull Gap. On those trails, we
got good looks at Scarlet Tanager, Yellow-throated and Red-eyed Vireos, and
Hooded Warbler. Most people in the group got to see a brilliant male
Blackburnian Warbler that was taunting us from the tops of the trees. We
heard a single Cerulean Warbler singing north of the MST at Bull Gap.
Toward the end of the morning, we stopped just before the Craggy picnic
area gate and walked up the road, getting very close looks at
Black-throated Green Warbler and Canada Warbler. A gorgeous male
Chestnut-sided Warbler showed off for us along the MST near the parking
area before the gate. My FOY birds for the day included Wood Thrush, Veery,
Eastern Wood-Pewee, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler,
and Indigo Bunting.

Jamie Harrelson
Asheville, NC