[EMAS] Cerulean Nest and Favor

  • From: "goedsche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <goedsche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 18:04:22 -0400

Hi, all.

On the Blue Ridge Parkway this morning the female Cerulean Warbler was
sitting on the nest as usual and the male paid a few visits, once standing
on a tiny branch about a foot or so above the nest and allowing views
through a scope. The nest tree is in a Tulip Poplar at MP 372.4, several
hundred yards south of Lane Pinnacle Overlook, near the lower edge of the
road. The south trunk of this double tree is flagged with blue and orange
flagging tape, but the nest is on a branch going off of the north trunk.
Counting from below, the nest is on the second branch that points more or
less to the north. There is a dark pink flag in the ground close to the
lower edge of the road several yards north of the nest tree that I placed
as well as I could directly under the nest itself.

As best I can estimate, fledgling should take place this Sunday, but it
could possibly be Saturday.

Is there anyone who would be willing to lend me an angled scope for the
weekend? I'd like to observe the nestlings fledge, but our scope is
straight-through, so it's a neck breaker. Fledging at the two nests I've
watched (2009 near Craven Gap and 2010 north of the Tanbark Ridge Tunnel)
took over 12 hours, so I'd really appreciate it if I could borrow an angled
scope from someone who won't need theirs this weekend.

Charlotte

Charlotte Goedsche
goedsche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx