[EMAS] Beaver Lake odes

  • From: Virginia Senechal <vsenechal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 14:07:47 -0400

Well, not exactly... there isn't much happening at the Lake or Sanctuary,
but the golf pond across the street is full of life.  Yesterday and today I
observed the following (unless otherwise specified, I saw them both days):

Banded pennant -- more than I was interested in counting; mostly males and
mating pairs
Black saddlebags - 1 patrolling
Blue corporal - several males
Calico pennant - 10 or more, mostly males
Common baskettail - 10 or more, patrolling
Common green darner - 1, male patrolling
Common whitetail, several males
Eastern pondhawk, numerous males, 1 female (only 1 male yesterday; numerous
today)
Lancet clubtail - 1 male (yesterday only)
Orange bluet - 1 male
Prince baskettail - 2
Slender bluets - numerous
Spangled skimmer - 1 male, patrolling (today only)
Spreadwing - 1 teneral, probably swamp (yesterday only)
Variable dancer - 1 male
Widow skimmer - several males

A few days ago I saw a female dragonhunter on the wooded side of the lake,
and an ebony jewelwing in the sanctuary near the creek.

Birds?  I've only seen or heard a few notables:  common yellowthroat that
keeps eluding me, a redstart or two, and possibly a yellow warbler singing
in the foliage (which I could not confirm).  Out on the lake there a few
herons, sandpipers, and ducks, but I didn't see anything unusual (but
didn't have binos so who knows?).

Virginia S