[EMAS] Beaver Lake March 8 - Hearing Challenged Pine Warbler

  • From: Thomas Tribble <tntribble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 12:50:21 -0500

I spent a lovely morning at Beaver Lake in almost spring weather.  I hoped to
hear a Yellow-throated Warbler but to no avail - still a bit early I guess.
While walking near the People tree along South Creek, I heard what I thought
was a Pine Warbler across the way.  As many of you know, I am hearing
challenged and I have difficulty distinguishing Pine Warblers from Chipping
Sparrows.  I played the Pine Warbler tape, not to draw in the bird, but to help
me figure out the song.  Nothing happened but a few minutes later the bird sang
again - several times.  I then played the Chipping Sparrow tape, hoping it
would help me distinguish between the 2 songs.  A bird immediately flew over
and landed in a sapling right next to me - maybe 12 feet away.  A beautiful,
bright yellow, Pine Warbler.  Apparently he has Tribble hearing - pun intended.

My count for the morning was 25 species.  The Common Merganser and the 3 Ruddy
Ducks are still there.  As are 2 Field Sparrows in the Sanctuary.