[EMAS] Beaver Lake Bird Walk - March 1

  • From: Thomas Tribble <tntribble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 15:03:48 -0500

When I last checked the National Weather Service early Friday evening, the
forecast called for snow and sleet overnight and rain at 9:00.  NOT!   20
people showed up, undeterred by the weather forecast.  It was cool but warmed
up nicely and no precipitation.  We identified 26 species.  The Common
Merganser is still on the lake.  The large flock of Redheads was on the golf
pond but got tired of being scoped and left for the lake.  One Ring-necked Duck
was with the Redheads while one Greater Scaup kept his distance.  Several male
Red-winged Blackbirds seemed to be jockeying for position.  The group had nice
looks at a Swamp Sparrow, a Red-shouldered Hawk and 2 Pileated Woodpeckers.
The Tree Swallows, which showed up as early as Feb 20, were not in evidence.

The Full List:
C. Goose
Mallard
Redhead