[ell-i-pcb-design] ELL-i PCB footprint drawing

  • From: otso@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ell-i-pcb-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 13:18:19 +0200

Hi,

I recently came across PCB Libraries footprint design document, it's
available for free but you need to accept their terms of usage.

http://www.pcblibraries.com/forum/pcb-design-optimization-starts-in-the-cad-library_topic468.html

Document has clear and well thought out instructions for creating
footprints, it's based on IPC 7351.
Main points (for us) are:

- There are 3 footprint variations: A, B and C. Variations differ in size,
in our case A is most interesting since it has handsolderable pads.

- Components have a placement courtyard to allow for placement and
component size tolerances. Courtyards are 0.5 mm from pads in A-level
components. Courtyards must not overlap in PCB, and courtyard is drawn in
a document layer of footprint.

- Silkscreen is entirely visible after assembly. Line width is 0.15 mm for
A-components. Silkscreen marks pin 1.

- Footprint has a separate document layer for creating assembly drawings

Pages 67, 68 and 115 - 135 have more details.

I'd like to do footprints in accordance to that document, variant A.
Document has examples of footprints at pages 124-132. Please check them
out and tell me if you'd consider them to be acceptable.

-Otso