[ell-i-developers] Re: Hard fault handler

  • From: Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@xxxxxx>
  • To: ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 10:05:42 +0300

> I wonder if a hard fault handler would be handy for debugging. When exception
> happens, a remote gdb-alike-debugger could be activated through serial
> connection. This can be an optional module in runtime, the decision of
> bringing in the exception handler can be made at compile time.

I think this is a great idea.

Perhaps the GDB remote protocol could be used directly?

https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/Remote-Protocol.html#Remote-Protocol

Alternatively, maybe the SWD protocol could be used, as it has good support at
the MCUs, and then convert that to to the gdb remote protocol.

The following might be useful?

http://gdb-jtag-arm.sourceforge.net
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/blackmagicdebug/index.php?title=Main_Page

The ArduElli board, in development, is planned to be compatible with the black
magic probe.
See https://github.com/Ell-i/ELL-i-Eagle-Boards/tree/master/Arduelli

Perhaps we should try to order one Blackmagic proble before the hackathon to be
able to prototype with that?  I can order one.  Should we have more?

--Pekka