[ell-i-developers] Re: [Developers] Released IDE 1.5.6 BETA

  • From: Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@xxxxxx>
  • To: ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 07:46:51 +0200

Thanks Eero!

> I used this command to collect all relevant stuff for ell-i-new:
> git --branch ell-i-new --recursive git@xxxxxxxxxx:Ell-i/Arduino.git

After that you usually need to go to the hardware/ell-i/stm32 and update:

  cd Arduino/hardware/ell-i/stm32
  git pull origin

Most of the time the ell-i-new branch points to some semi-random commit in the
Runtime.git repo.  Perhaps you could take a habit of updating that yourself?

> But something was missing from hardware/elli/stm32 directories (like
> libraries..., partially old Makefiles...) Then I collected Ell-i Runtime
> directory as a separate entity and made a symbolic link in proper place into
> the actual repo for el_156B/Arduino (my name for the Ell-i version of Arduino
> 1.5.6 BETA)! And got it up an running!

Very nice!  Thanks!  Good to know.

It would be good to get some more details of the missing directories and old
Makefiles so that we can fix those.  But I guess they were caused by the
initial git command checking out a wrong commit from the Runtime.git repo.

> Now the IDE runs!! But evidently there is still a repository internal
> reference to ...none-eabi... toolschain as it gets an error: unrecognized
> option: -std=c++1 while compiling Blink.ino.
> - so the toolset must be upgraded in one way or another

I think it would be good if more folks from us would join the Arduino
developer's mailing list, perhaps contributing to the ongoing work on updating
the toolchains.  I don't think we want to update the toolchain in our version
of Arduino IDE, other than perhaps for making pull requests to the Arduino
proper.  However, the toolchain update is such a big thing that they are doing
it separately anyway.

> As to the make-file-environment, the embedded side compiles without glitch
> and emulator still wants to have those __peripheral_start & _end references
> defined!

AFAIK, Asif is still working on that.  As discussed earlier, we need a separate
copy of the Linux linker script, with those symbols defined in the same way
they are defined in variants/ellduino/ld/flash.ld for the Ellduino board.

--Pekka