[elky] Re: oooooohhhhh

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 17:12:36 -0600

If ya think Frank Stella is a crayon artist, then how about Andy Warhol?

(I've stripped the paint off model cars that had better paint jobs than Warhol's back in the day when I built 'em.)

Then there's Jack the Dripper (Jackson Pollock), Kandinsky and a few others.

I DO like some of the nonrepresentational art: Mondrian, Joan Miro (I'm too lazy to add the accents to the vowels) and some others that don't try to rip yer eyeballs out.  I remember when I first discovered Mondrian's work.  I was about 14 and wanted more than anything to be a beatnik, hang out at coffee houses (ignoring the fact that I was living on Ogden, Utah and the coffee houses I'd read about were in Greenwich Village), grow a goatee, play bongos and paint in Mondrian's Neo-Plasticism style:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_Mondrian

Well, I have the goatee.  :)  But Mondrian's work still appeals to me:

So much for Art History 101, huh?  :)

(I also had aspirations of getting a doctorate in art history...but that was in my drinking days and....)

On 10/20/2011 4:33 PM, Mary McCarthy wrote:
I don't mean to be rude to another artist, but it looks like the Bimmer was colored with crayons.

Here's a followup to the Bimmer art car (originally owned by Peter Gregg.)
http://www.gtspirit.com/2011/10/11/bmw-m1-art-car-acquired-by-bmw-dealer/

Here's the original story.  I didn't know Gregg had committed suicide.  Interesting story.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/tragic-racers-bmw-m1-art-car-heads-to-pebble-beach-auction/