[elky] Test but no blinding flash

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:18:37 -0600

I thought I might keep working on the hood of the race car and the fuel pump issues with the Camaro.  Wrong on the first, sorta wrong on the 2nd.

Jim came over and we worked on the race car.  Not the hood, but the motor.  Matter of fact, we got it to the point of trying a BFT.  Well, we got the Test part, but nary a flicker.  No spark.  I found later that the relay for the MSD box isn't energizing.  Dunno why yet, but I'll figger it out.  Here's the motor about the time we started workin on it:

Not much different from before, but I removed the battery box because it was interfering with the hood fit.  I'll either leave it like it is or come back and deal with it later.  For the first time, there are spark plugs installed and ready to be connected.  They're Accel "Shorty" plugs to clear the headers.

As we wired the the plugs, Jim marked the cylinder number.  We'd pulled the valve cover (and then the other one) first so we could find TDC, then so we could pour some oil over the rockers before attempting to start it.  We went for a bite of Mexican food for lunch and also got 5 gallons of premium fuel, which got poured into the tank.

We got everything connected and cranked it over.  The motor had about 55 psi oil pressure and cranked nicely, but didn't wanna fire.  Eventually we decided that we had fuel but no spark.

We looked into the Camaro and found that the electric fuel pump isn't getting started, therefore no fuel to the injectors.  I'll look further into that tomorrow.  Finally we found that the Burb's power steering pressure hose is the culprit as far as the fluid leak goes.  I bought one yesterday on a SWAG...I'll see if I can get it installed this evening (it's only 75F outside at the moment, but humid as hell...we had some nasty storms yesterday and a little more today.)

Finally, did some metering and checking, and found that the relay for the MSD ignition box isn't getting energized.  I dunno why, but that shouldn't be too hard to figger out.  If worst comes to worst, I'll just jumper across the high-current sides of the relay to get the motor started.  While I was at it, I remembered Chris' question about plug wire management.  I went with the cheap stuff: Spectre wire looms (the guy that owns the company is an acquaintance from the salt flats) but they helped tidy things up quite a bit.  I have another breather and some plug wire numbering bands on order, so that'll help tidy even more:

The whole thing is written up here:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/85monte/85monte24.html

I feel like we accomplished a coupla weeks' work today.  I had no idea that we'd end up trying the BFT so soon.  But it's sure a load off my mind.  It'll be an even bigger one if the thing starts up and runs.  :)

(tired, but a very good tired)