[elky] Re: MP3 Players?

  • From: Robert Adams <ladams21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 21:55:05 -0500

My wife's birthday is coming up, and I thought I would start researching& cause I don't have the slightest clue. Her Palm Centro plays and stores MP3's just fine, but no one told us it was in mono and going thru 3 sets of headphones for it, they don't work worth a darn either.

Eww. Allot of phones still only send mono over bluetooth. Now with my Nokia phones I can either bluetooth or use corded headphones. One of them has stereo bluetooth but corded will always sound better and battery life is always better that way too. I use my headphones on a daily basis and I use them when working on everything and they get snagged allot. Course these headphones are really nice. They have a plastic mesh over the wires preventing damage.

Here they are http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-7200-Stereo-Headset-Black/dp/B000VIM0RC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1254450229&sr=8-5

They are also long so that they snap behind the head like a necklace so the weight of the cord isn't on your ears and you can take them out without the ear phones falling down. These fit two of my phones that have the serpentine (aka POP port) connector. It's strong enough that you can hold the phone by the cord. Unfortunatly I don't think they make them in a 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack version. Do that and put the earplug type speakers on it and you have the best designed head phones out there.

But using a phone as an MP3 player isn't the best... They are real battery hogs when used as MP3 players and radios.

What do you use for an MP3 player and what do you recommend.

Aaron, I have consumer reports and have looked on there, but being as lost as I am it hasn't helped much. I am happy turning on the radio or Pandora, they get me where I need to be so I have never considered the MP3 players. I can tell which ones to probably stay away from, but the top 25 all have 60-70 ratings, which to me means they are all pretty much the same?

Thanks,

The clueless

Well personally I don't recommend any of them that are over $50 or so. Stay away from anything with a rechargeable battery as they only have a few hour operating time while the ones that use a AAA battery will run for up to 30hrs and it takes seconds to replace the battery and be up and going anywhere.

Really the best thing going are the $30 ones. They run on a AAA which may on the surface sound like a drawback but like I stated above is actually a benefit. It does make for a slightly larger package though. Ipods etc you can't replace the battery at all on...
              They usually have a built in FM radio which the Ipods etc don't.
They play real MP3s and no crappy Ipod software and DRM stuff to deal with it just works.
               Many even have an audiobook function that few $$$ ones have.

            Also if you loose it you haven't lost $100-$300.

The $70 Ipod shuffle has no digital readout and none of the features listed above but the $30 ones do. Newegg has a $25 one on sale right now that's 10 times the product that the Crapple (Apple/Mac) stuff is and less than half the price.

This is one thing where a fancy one isn't as good as a cheapie. I really hate the apple software. It's very frustrating to use and just poorly designed. It's also like all apple software a memory and processor hog.... Not as bad a quicktime which is the worst piece of software ever made..... Make sure to go in and disable the start up stuff if you happen to get one. Also the fact that apple converts the song into their proprietary file type and you can't just put MP3s on and pull them off of it is a real pain. I will not support any crapple product if I can help it.