[elky] Re: First "Asylum"

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:02:21 -0700

At 06:47 AM 12/11/2009, you wrote:
Nice pic but Ugh why an Epson. I hate their printers with a passion. If you run out of a color it won't still print in black it has to have all colors full. ETC ETC. They are only good with refillable cartriges with resetting chips that always show full or a CISS with the same resetable chips but has external bottles to refill and hoses running to the print head.

My main printer has refillable cartridges and my second is getting a CIS system. I agree...the basic concept is just a hole to throw money into. But they do very nice prints...and they're cheap. You can get a brand-new printer for $200 on eBay. Since a new printer comes with new ink cartridges...and a whole set from Epson costs $120....well, you can see the big picture there. They sell the printer at a loss, then make their money on supplies. The computer industry's been doing that for decades.

Among other things I worked on were "proof machines" that printed the MICR (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition) characters on the bottom edge of the check while making sure that the batch (that had been collected by the bank tellers) balanced...that is, the total of the checks matched the amount on the deposit slip. Burroughs almost gave the machines away...and they were expensive suckers to maintain. But the real profit came from selling the magnetic ink ribbons. They were a "one-time" ribbon: a strip of plastic with the ink on one side. When a hammer hit the ribbon and the check, the character that was on the face of the encoder wheel on the other side would be transferred to the paper of the check. The usual usage was one ribbon per machine per day. Since the field engineers (like me) were responsible for selling supplies (and lemme tell ya, that was more important to company management than keeping customers happy by keeping their machines running) we had to devote a lotta time to selling overpriced products. No wonder I've had a bad attitude about personal selling.

I'll stick with my HP which I can take a syringe and refill a cartrige in seconds for practically nothing. Geri has finally figured out why I hate epson printers and cant' wait till hers runs out of black ink and I can smash it to pieces for all the frustration it has put me through.

I had a printer like that once .. Started with an L..... CRS ..... no blood in my coffee system.

Lexmark.  Totally disposable printers.  Company owned by Micro$oft, iirc.

If you think about all the prints I made this year and all the bouncing around the printers got (I'd have my laptop and one or both printers in the Burb so I could make prints immediately at whatever venue I was at) they did pretty well.

And I only went to the Epsons when I couldn't get decent prints out of my HP no matter how many color cartridges and different types of HP paper I used. Btw, the HP will print if one of the colors in the cartridge is empty...but the print is useless. So as soon as you run out of one color, you have to replace the whole thing....at least on the model I have. It's a trade-off.

Ray