[elky] Re: Crash!

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 07:49:26 -0400 (EDT)

John didn't I send you a brake light for inside the window, or was that
someone else. Now I'm not sure, or did you change it?

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 10/5/2011 7:34:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
johncgg@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Sorry to  hear about this Chris!!! I borrowed a Saab 900 convertible that
belonged to my  boss, just long enough to meet Cindy and Nate when he was
buying a car (we  were short a car at the time, and Cindy had dropped me at
work). I was waiting  to turn left, and this little old lady just did not stop.
I could see it  coming too. Didn't make her hit me any softer. I was at a
ddead stop. Couldn't  do a thing. It's the insurance hassle that is worse
than anything. No one was  hurt.
THIRD BRAKE LIGHT is a must on our style cars. The bumper is really  low,
and the lights are small and dim. _This  is the one I have_
(http://www.jcwhitney.com/mini-led-brake-light/taillight/clearance/p2003590.jcwx)
 . Robert
has more LED's in his light bar. It is worth the  $20.

I HAVE been hit by a semi in mine. It was a less than 5 mph hit.  His foot
was off the brake at a stop, and he didn't realize he was rolling. He  hit
me so square it didn't do a thing. I had the stock bumper at the time.

Good luck with all the insurance hassle.
JC

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Robert Adams <_elcam84@xxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:elcam84@xxxxxxxxx) > wrote:

Arghh.

Well doesn't look too bad. Looks like a bumper, bumper shocks  maybe a
bumper filler then a little paint and body work.

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Chris Lindh <_chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) > wrote:

It was Grandma, taking her grandson to his baseball  game.  She was in a
hurry and didn't see me stopped... (maybe I need  a 3rd tail light).

Couldn't see the large  vehicle stopped in the road in front of her. Hmm

She had her daughter come pick up the grandson, but  when they tried to
leave the officer announced through his loudspeaker  that the occupant could
not leave until he was finished with the  process.  Grandma received a
citation for following too  closely.  (I have learned that sometimes it is best
slow down to  get things done quickly.)

I'm surprised she got a ticket for  that. Most states they can't give
tickets like that if it wasn't witnessed  by an officer. A very gray area.

Weather: clear, time 6PM, she was driving a Honda  Accord.  Her bumper
cover received minor damage.  Her hood had  dents from a previous incident...

Hmm

While I was waiting to turn in my wife and boys  turned in coming the
opposite direction in the G35, then it  happened.  My oldest was upset thinking
got hurt.

Reminds me of the dirt  bike days. We were more worried if the bike was
broken. Jeff can heal him  self we have to fix the bike. :) :)  Used to give
him a hard time about  that...

The crazy part is Grandma wanted me to just let it  slide... she thought my
bumper could just be "pulled out".  I'd like  Grandma to work in a body
shop for a few months...

Uh no. It's  more than just pulling a bumper out as it's bent and the
bumper shocks have  to be replaced after an accident as well. If she damaged
the
tailgate that's  a huge cost to replace.

...and, at another time in my life it might have  been a bummer, but I'm
mellowing...

Yeah know what  you mean. Wasn't too upset when Alex crunched the PT
cruiser. Well cause it  wasn't her fault is why....  It's more the
inconvenience
of having to  deal with rental cars talking to ins people and all that run
around and then  waiting for them to pay etc...

it could have been worse (it wasn't an 18  wheeler!).  The damage is
minimal.  I would have been aggravated  if it was any of the other cars.  The
El
Camino paint is rough, there  are rust spots popping up all over, the drivers
door is full of bondo (I  have a spare) and the tailgate has bondo cracking
off AND had a giant limb  fall on it (I have a spare tailgate too).

Ugh...    Well you will have some funds to put into the elky now. Take the
check and  do most of it your self.  I looked over the repair bill for the
PT and  was not impressed with the hourly fees. They were obviously padding
the bill  a bunch. $500 worth of parts retail and the repair was over 2K.
They billed  8hrs for mixing paint. The whole job from beginning to end would
have taken  a shop less than 8hrs total. I know I'd never take a car there.
Will suggest  to allstate they audit the shops fee and time schedule for
repairs cause  it's way over book rate.

Had I known  they were going to charge the other ins company that much I
would have done  the repairs myself and made over 1K in profit...

Robert  Adams

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:08 AM, <_STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx) > wrote:

Bummer, never a good time for that. was (she) on a cell phone?  Putting on
makeup? Are you OK? Weather conditions? Wet?
what was (she) driving?

Smokey Mt  Frank

In a message dated 10/3/2011 9:01:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
_chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  writes:

"Vehicles 1 and 2 were traveling south on (Main) Road  approaching it`s
intersection with
(Neighborhood) Drive. Vehicle 2  stopped in preparation for turning left
onto (Neighborhood)
Drive,  waiting on oncoming (northbound) traffic. Vehicle 1 was not able to
 stop in time,
and struck the rear of vehicle 2 after swerving to  the right in an attempt
to avoid
impact.
Driver 2 stated that he  was waiting on oncoming traffic to pass so he
could make a  left
turn onto (Neighborhood) Drive when his vehicle was struck in  the rear.
Driver 1 stated that she did not see that vehicle 2 had  stopped in time.
She said that
she attempted to stop in time, and  tried to swerve to avoid striking
vehicle 2, but she
was not able  to do so in  time."