[elky] Battery Hold Down

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 08:20:01 -0400

I'm going to try to make it to the drag strip tonight...

Here is a message I've been trying to send but the photos were too big:

Photos here:
http://sites.google.com/site/grabanothergear/75battery.JPG
http://sites.google.com/site/grabanothergear/75battery1.jpg
http://sites.google.com/site/grabanothergear/75battery2.jpg
http://sites.google.com/site/grabanothergear/75battery3.jpg
http://sites.google.com/site/grabanothergear/75battery4.jpg
http://sites.google.com/site/grabanothergear/75battery5.jpg

I've been thinking about the battery hold down after our experience on the
salt flats.  In my '80 I used to have the battery mounted in a legal
aluminum box in the area behind the seats, but it was a hassle and after
reading the NHRA rules I'm not sure if it is legal since that area is not a
trunk and has no firewall.

So I installed a new battery tray a few years ago and with my 75/35 Optima
the little triangular "puck" was holding the battery in fine, but I wanted a
solution that would pass any tech without issue. So I bought a steel plasma
cut battery bracket and bolted it to the original battery tray.  (See
attached, the photos showing it in bare steel are from the seller.)  I
considered not using the battery tray, but then the battery bracket would
only be attached to the plastic inner fender.  The battery tray bolts to 3
places: two on the fender and one on the core support.

It was a bit of a kludge to make it work, I had to pound the lip on the
battery tray that holds the battery on the opposite side of the hold down.
Otherwise the battery bracket wouldn't sit flat.  Then I mounted two 3/8"
bolts to the battery tray (sticking up from the bottom), then tack welded
them so they wouldn't move, since once you bolt the battery tray down you
can't hold them from spinning.  Then I bolted the bracket in.

I can't find the NHRA rules about a battery in the stock location, although
I've found one track that lists "All batteries must be securely mounted (no
bungee cords, rope, wire, etc.)".  The bracket comes with 1/4" holes; I
opened them all up to 3/8" with a step bit.  The NHRA rules say you have to
use 3/8" studs when relocating a battery, so I'm thinking 3/8" bolts will be
sufficient in this application.

Hopefully have any issues with tech over a battery hold down - the battery
isn't going anywhere.  Total cost $35.