[elky] Re: A little work on the Burb

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 12:49:45 -0500

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Ha!  My rental car looked rough after being on the flats.  It was covered
> in salt both inside and out.  I did spray off the outside at a coin car wash
> in SLC (GPS in my phone is a lifesaver).  Bob told me a good idea for the
> future: turn the floor mats over, so the rubber side collects the salt and
> you can dump them out before you turn it in (although the airport rental
> places don't seem to care what shape the car is in when returned, which is
> the opposite of the free standing rental locations).

             I have experienced the same with rental car places too.

                 There was a deal going on that you could rent a car in
Utah,CO or CA and if you dropped it off in AZ it was only $5 a day. We
looked at doing that for vacation but there is nothing between SCL and AZ.
It's a very long days drive (12hrs) and not a hotel in between or anything
but the grand canyon. So Fresno looked better as Yosemite etc are on the way
but it was allot cheaper to go out of the country for vacation.

> Also, the salt is not smooth like glass, it has lots of little craters.  I
> drove full speed over the surface... it's a rental!  One of the many reasons
> to never purchase a rental car, no matter how good the price...

                  Yeah that's why 130mph is a big deal there.

                   We used to do jobs towards houston and the astro vans
were limited to around 94. We never did get around to reprogramming the
computer to avoid that.  Oh and those little ford focus... Those are fun
little cars but when you drive them hard and fast 90-100+ they really
complain and run very rough when they get hot. They just can't shed heat
fast enough. (focus was a friends rental car.....)