[elky] Re: 1952 Allard J2X

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 20:27:06 -0600

I didn't do much in the gold except final polishing. Dave at work cleaned up
the casting, set the stones, and used the laser welder for the tripods. My
work was in the 6 or 8 hours of wax time.

You should see my hands though. Other stuff through the season has thrashed
them. I have been super gluing the cracks back together, but another week or
2 and they will be back to near normal again, with the help of cortisone. I
practice 'safe jewelry' with triple washed powder free latex gloves, by the
case at work. I can only avoid it so much though this time of year.

Thanks for the clarification on the headlights. He told me the name, but I
didn't do any research. All I knew was that it was important to get the 3
points on the wax before I convinced him that diamonds were a better choice.
Then Dave added them after setting, and it was the icing on the cake.

The customer was against a whole bunch of diamonds. When I pointed out the 1
mm stones in the fenders, he said "Those are the mightaswell's" When you
restore a car, there are a lot of those. Never heard that before but is sure
is the truth.

Thanks,

JC