[edm-announce] Summer 2010 Graduate Research Internship at Grockit

  • From: Ari Bader-Natal <ari@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edm-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:36:51 -0800

Please feel free to distribute, print, or repost this announcement.  -Ari

---

Summer 2010 Graduate Research Internship at Grockit

Grockit is happy to announce our Summer 2010 Graduate Research Internship program. This is a paid position for students pursuing doctoral research at a university in the United States in one or more of the following areas:

  • Computer supported collaborative learning
  • Educational data mining
  • Artificial Intelligence in education
  • Intelligent tutoring systems
  • Item Response Theory

We encourage you to read more about this opportunity on our blog at http://blog.grockit.com/blog/2010/02/03/announcing-summer-2010-research-internship/

About Grockit

Grockit is a San Francisco-based web startup building a platform for — and a community around — live collaborative learning games. Grockit offers collaborative learning tool that allows students to practice tests in the three ways they naturally study: alone, with peers, and with experts. We strive to provide our growing global network of learners with a smart platform built on educational research, peer assistance, and a data-driven adaptive design.

Program Goals

  • This program seeks to provide research opportunities to doctoral students to get hands-on experience applying their work to a learning system actively used by a large community of students.

Program Duration

  • June 7, 2010 – August 13, 2010

Important Dates

  • March 1, 2010 – Application deadline
  • March 15, 2010 – Notifications sent

Award

  • $5,000 stipend
  • $3,000 housing allowance for interns residing outside of the San Francisco Bay area
  • Round-trip air travel reimbursement from your university to San Francisco (up to $500.)
  • Breakfast and lunches every weekday!

Eligibility

  • Current full-time enrollment in a doctoral program in the United States in any of the areas specified above, with at least 2 years of coursework already completed.

Selection

  • For applicants with research focus on Item Response Theory, strong preference will be given to those with experience working with the R computing environment and with SQL databases.
  • For other applicants, strong preference will be given to those with programming experience.

Questions?

Application

* An up-to-date version of this announcement can be found at http://blog.grockit.com/2010_summer_research_internship/