[edm-announce] Last reminder to register- Invitation - DDS Seminar: Data Science: Speeding up the Online learning curve - Monday morning, 9th of March 2015 @TU Delft

  • From: Stephen Fancsali <sfancsali@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edm-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 10:30:27 -0500

[on behalf of Delft Data Science]

- last reminder to register –
- for those that would like to join, but have not registered yet -
Coming Monday, March 9
DDS Seminar
Data Science: Speeding up the Online learning curve

Monday 9 March 2015 – 9.30 to 14.00

Theaterzaal – Sports & Culture – TU Delft

Mekelweg 8-10, 2628 CD Delft

Delft Data Science (DDS) organizes a series of seminars. These seminars
address the challenges and opportunities emerging from large quantities of
heterogeneous, complex, networked and dynamic data influencing virtually
all socio-economic domains.

We aim to bring the main economic, industrial, societal and academic
stakeholders together to jointly discuss how to address the challenges and
optimally exploit the opportunities related to big data in the years to
come.

Speeding up the Online learning curve
Open & Online education is a growing force in higher education. Platforms
like EdX and Coursera offer a broad spectrum of Massive Open Online
Courses. How do we keep learners engaged throughout a course and how do we
assess if leaning goals have been achieved? The massive amount of data,
produced by learners inside and outside the Massive Open Online Courses and
the challenges for online assessment makes Online education a very
interesting field for data science research. In this DDS seminar we will
explore the research questions around learning analytics, gamification and
online assessment.

How can we build comprehensive learner models that provide fine-grained
insights into learners' abilities, motivations, behaviour, knowledge and
learning curves? For example a gaze-based indicator of students’ attention
in a MOOC video lecture is proposed to define “with-me-ness” at two levels:
perceptual, following teacher’s deictic acts; and conceptual, following
teacher discourse.

Experiences of gamification in the classroom give us food for thought for
the use of gamification in the online learning environment. How can we use
game-based learning to improve the learning outcomes?

Assessment in online courses is now often done by multiple choice tests,
but many instructors feel a need for automated assessment of “open”
answers, designs, programs or other student materials. How can we achieve
this?

Can natural language processing and machine learning methods enhance online
assignments and peer reviews?

Will you join us for speeding up the Online learning curve?

Program
 9.30   Welcome/coffee
10.00  Opening by Claudia Hauff
10.15  Kshitij Sharma - EPFL | École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne

“Looking THROUGH versus looking AT”
10.35  Alexandru Iosup - Delft University of Technology (Dutch Teacher of
the Year)

“Gamification in the classroom”

10.55 Markus Krause - Leibniz Universität Hannover
“Learning at Scale: Promises, Reality, and Vision”
11.15  Coffee Break
11.45  Heide Lukosch - Delft University of Technology
“Game-based learning”
12.05  Eelco Visser - Delft University of Technology
“Massive Online Assessment – beyond multiple choice”
12.25  Panel discussion followed by closing remarks by Claudia Hauff
13.00  Lunch with posters by companies and researchers

Attendance

Please, let us know of your presence via the registration link on Delft
Data Science and share this invitation with interested colleagues or
business relations. Registration is free of charge, and needed for catering
purposes.

At 14.00 the opening of the Open Education Week starts at the same
location. To register for this event please see this link

We are looking forward to welcoming you the 9th of March.

Delft Data Science

TU Delft - Faculty Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science
EWI/EEMCS- Building 36
Mekelweg 4
2628 CD Delft
Postbus 5031