[edi581] reviews

  • From: Charlotte Dixson <charpit64@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 20:42:04 -0800 (PST)

PowerPoint No, Cyberspace Yes
    The author of this article argues that PowerPoint
has little usefulness.  He believes electronic
communication is a much better way to go.  It allows
the student to participate.  They can be more in
control of their learning.  PowerPoint, in his
opinion, tends to be used more in classrooms that are
teacher-controlled, teacher-centered classrooms.
    His main argument is that where PowerPoint is used
the focus is more on the presentation than on the
learning that should be the focus.  He believes the
ability of two-way communication that e-mail and
electronic conferencing allow make this the far better
choice.

PowerPoint Is Not Evil
    The point the author tries to make is: what we use
to teach isn't as important as how we use it to teach.
 A lot of the things PowerPoint can be used for can be
done with other materials.  Often, though, PowerPoint
can make presentations neater.
    Mr. Rocklin proceeds to make his defense for
PowerPoint valid by showing the reader a fictitious
journal PowerPoint.  Throughout this journal we read
how this teacher uses it and the reasons why.  The
benefits go beyond what can be gotten from the
original presentation.  Students who need to review
the lesson can view the presentation at a later time.
This can help slower learners as well as help others
review for an exam.

Ban It Now! Friends Don't Let Friends Use PowerPoint
    The author claims that PowerPoint is a monopoly
and we should not support it.  He also claims that is
inescapable.  Everywhere he goes, PowerPoint is.  A
person is almost forced into using it because of
evaluations speakers are given.  Questions on these
often refer to graphics.  The rules of PowerPoint make
it difficult to get your full point across. Things
must be kept concise.  It also inhibits people from
asking questions.  He also points out that PowerPoint
is rarely used at CEO meetings.

My Opinion
    I like it.  Keep in mind that I have seen very few
PowerPoint presentations.  When reading the articles
and watching the "shows" in class I kept thinking of
ways in which i could incorporate its use in a
classroom.
    I can certainly understand how it could become
boring and ineffective.  As with everything we use to
teach, how we use it and how often makes a huge
difference in the learning that takes place.  I would
like to have students use it to create there own
presentations.  This would force them to do research
as well as help them to realize how much can be done
using a computer and the Internet.
    There are a lot of standards that need to be
taught in the classroom.  Any time we can teach
something in a cross-curricular manner is truly
beneficial.

   Jerry.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx