[edi581] power point articles

  • From: Lisa Berry <gigbun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:03:18 -0800 (PST)

     In "PowerPoint is Evil" Edward Tufte discusses the misuse of powerpoint by
teachers.  In one section Tufte talks about the excessive use of powerpoint to
teach elementary kids, when in actuality they are being taught to pitch ideas
rather then write them is an essay.  He also makes the point that powerpoint is
pointless when discussing a topic and all the slide shows is data with color
and animation.  Individuals are not learning the content, but staring at
graphics.  If there is no content to go with the pretty designs, it is all a
waste of time.  One specific quote that captions his main idea is, "Audience
boredom is usually a content failure, not a decoration failure".
     This quote leads me to my reaction to the article.  I think too many
people, whether business people or teachers, have the wrong idea of what
powerpoint should be used for.  It is not supposed to teach the topic, but
enhance the previous knowledge.  Pretty pictures may add some creativity, but
if there is nothing to go along with the the creativity it gets boring quickly.
 It is as if the creator is underestimating his or her audience and tries
hiding behind the color and pizazz.  We are smarter then that, so try teaching
something to go with the fun stuff.

     In "Powerpoint No, Cyberspace Yes", Tom Creed discusses the difference
between powerpoint versus e-mail and student centered versus teacher centered.
Creed's idea is that any digital technology should enhance the learning not
teach.  He comments that e-mail is student-centered because they are using the
material and presenting their ideas to others and vice versa.  E-mail allows
the students to pose questions and use each other to understand the
information.  The teacher may respond, but it is still up to the student to
question.  E-mail also allows learning our side of the classroom.  Students can
continue asking questions or carrying on conversations from class.
Teacher-centered teaching would be located within powerpoint because the
teacher makes the presentation and puts it on the screen for the students to
stare at.  There is no active participation to think and work with the
material.  Powerpoint is just placed on the screen and shows no response to if
the materi
 al is
 actually understood.  They will probably forget some of the information that
was stated.
     I don't totally agree with Creed regarding e-mail.  Yes, it is a good way
to continue education out of class, but it still cannot be relied on to this
extent.  The Internet still has its difficulties.  E-mail may not always work
or a system may be down that doesn't allowed e-mail use.  Miscommunication
occurs so often in e-mails.  Those involved would need to know the e-mail
"rules".  But this idea is still more reliable in the actual learning process.
Powerpoint does leave the information open-ended.  Students don't have the
physical evidence to look at when studying or just trying to learn the
information.  Powerpoint can leave a class hanging if the material is only
showed with pictures and not content.

     In the final article, "Powerpoint is Not Evil", Tom Rocklin discusses his
experiences with powerpoint in his class.  Rocklin does make it known that
certain technologies can only be useful in certain classes, environments, and
even schools.  Money plays a large role because many schools don't have the
equipment needed for the technology.  The value of the technology does depend
on circumstances.  For Rocklin's powerpoint lesson in class, he printed the
slides with spaces for the students to make their own notes and he puts the
presentation on the class website.  Students Will have the materials and can
look them over and if there are questions or confusions they can ask the
teacher the following day.  Rocklin also used it to show directions for a
in-class group projects.
     It was nice to see positive perspective on powerpoint.  Rocklin's
experience seems situational.  A teacher needs to know when to use powerpoint.
It happened to work well with the topic he was covering in class and it would
work well for directions.  The teacher has to make the responsible decision of
when to use it and to make sure the students are equipped with the materials to
understand the information being presented.

     Overall, I have mixed feelings about powerpoint.  There are pros and cons
as with any program.  Once I begin teaching and learning the in's and out's of
my district, with the technological capabilities, I'll discover my stance.

Lisa Berry

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx