[edi581] Stolls Article

  • From: "Charles Conway" <cconway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:03:43 -0400

While I agree with alot of what Stoll says about the amount of time use on
computers, especially his peice on word processing.  He states that time
in the highschool level is wasted on a topic that can be taught in a
couple of hours.  I agree that many districts are not focusing their
attention to this aspect of technology however, to remove computers is not
the best idea.  These simple technologies, word processing, powerpoint and
other software should be taught at the elementary level so that in the
secondary level these skills can be used to further the knowlege of the
students.  We don not teach simple single didgit multiplication or breeze
through the civil war in a high school.  These are basics which are built
upon and used to do more complex applications.  The same should be done
with technology.  Unfortunatly, in my district, there doesn't seem to be a
curriculum or sense of direction with technology.  The is nothing saying
by this grade they should be able to do this, this and this.  I think my
dis
trict is an exapmle of a district the Stoll was very critical about.
Hopefully, teachers and parents will realize how much we are lacking and
become more involved in creating a more structured and organized criteria
for these technologies.

Chuck Conway
Grade 4/Taylor

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx