[edi581] PowerPoint Reviews

  • From: "Mark Anson" <manson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:08:45 -0500

Is it me or do only people named TOM critique PowerPoint.

PowerPoint is Not Evil
Tom Rocklin

  This article uses a hypothetical situation to point out many ways that
PowerPoint can be used as a benefit to teachers and students.  Some of these
benefits include visually pleasing artwork and printable notes.  While this
author seems open-minded he very professionally offers a realistic view of how
a teacher may view the program.

Ban It Now!  Friends Don't Let Friends Use PowerPoint
Thomas Stewart

  This author has a very limited scope that is even further clouded by his need
to be heard.  Every one of his points can be argued to the contrary.  Yes in
huge lecture forums it may seem monotonous but "bullet points kill" come on!
His negative view of PowerPoint seems to be more of a power issue with those in
the controlling circle in which he works.

PowerPoint No, Cyberspace Yes
Tom Creed

  This article argues why e-mail technologies are much more useful in the
classroom than PowerPoint.  It views e-mail as open to multiple possibilities
that will further student growth and PowerPoint as Charlie Brown's teacher,
boring and droning.  The author predicts that using PowerPoint leads to one
type of instruction only.

MY OPINION
Mark Anson

      My opinion of PowerPoint has both opinions, hopefully a bit more
tastefully stated that a couple of the articles.  First I do see that
PowerPoint can become dry and dull if overused and used in a lecture format
where the instruction is not student centered.  If it only causes the teacher
to feel good about themselves because they "think" they are now tapping into
multiple intelligences they are fooling nobody, and the program is worthless.
      That being said having taught two years as a self-contained special
education teacher and the past two as a 6th grade inclusion teacher I feel the
possibilities are endless.  Yes it can be used to guide a large group lesson
but its benefits become apparent when it is student based.  We all know the
interest that all children have in "new" technologies, and face it, PowerPoint
makes a research paper much more exciting to complete.  This may be the one
incentive a lazy student needs to simultaneously complete the paper.  Another
benefit to PowerPoint is learning center activities.  I have seven computers in
my classroom and in teaching biomes this year I (and my student teacher from
Geneseo) set up small PowerPoint presentations on the computers where groups of
3-4 students took turns looking at the various biomes of the world and beefing
up their notes for an upcoming assessment.  The students all enjoyed this and
we had a discussion following where students pointed out things they had missed
when I originally taught the topic.

   Jerry.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx