[ebooktalk] "Tiny Sunbirds Far Away"

  • From: "Trish Talbot" <trish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 13:19:08 +0100

A huge thank you to Shell for recommending this book and for sending it.  I
thought "Purple Hibiscus" was good, which it is, but "Tiny Sunbirds" equals, if
not outclasses it, for me, anyway.  The characters are well-drawn, though not
predictable, and the family set-up is interesting.  It also deals with the
issue of (AS it is termed in the book) "Girl cutting".  The writer conveys the
horror experienced by her main character (A twelve-year-old girl) at moving
from a modern house in Lagos to a compound in a poor part of Nigeria, where
there is no electricity, no running water, and food is scarce, and develops the
story so that the reader can see how she gradually comesat first to accept her
situation, and eventually to love her new home.  The book also manages to be
funny in parts.  One of the best books I've read this year!

Trish.