[ebooktalk] MRS ROBINSON'S DISGRACE

  • From: "Steven Bingham" <steven.bingham1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 09:23:54 +0100

Hi

I've just come across something that strikes me as rather odd in the last
edition of RNIB's Books magazine.

Kate Summerskill's book entitled Mrs Robinson's Disgrace is listed in the
braille section under History but in the Talking Book section it is listed
under True Crime. The description does not mention a crime but a court case.

Mrs Robinson kept a diary in which she wrote of a short, secret

affair but her husband found it and set in motion one of the most

notorious legal cases of the day. Fidelity, insanity, fantasy and the

boundaries of privacy are displayed in a Victorian society clinging

to rigid ideas about marriage and female sexuality.

Steve