[ebooktalk] DISTRACTIONS

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 19:00:06 +0100

Well, I'm afraid I gave up on the Alan Russell.  There were a number of
triggers.  first, the book is based on a conceit involving ancient Greek
mythology.  Each time the author makes a mythological allusion, he has to
explain it on the basis that it will be a mystery to many readers.  As the book
is littered with these this quickly becomes tiresome.  Secondly there are a
number of very lame jokes relating to Greek and Roman mythology.  but the third
and the real killer was that I listened to the Guardian books podcast which
focussed on horror.  This included an interview with a south African born
writer called Lauren Beukes.  She has recently published a book about a
time-travelling serial killer.  Well, I mean, it was no contest.  Her book is
proving much more satisfactory.