[eagleengineering] Re: Wedneday Showoffs and Recruitment: Review

  • From: Stanley Zee <zkaratekid888@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eagleengineering@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:18:33 -0700 (PDT)

Stanley is sorry that Stanley did not show up, however Stanley have been out of
town and shall continue to be out of town till Sunday. He has been dropping his
sister off at college.

Stanley Zee

mrpopo888@xxxxxxx wrote:  Okay.  I didn't mind so much that only 5 team members
showed up to last Thursday's meeting to help out with repairing the robots and
cleaning up the tool room.  I understand that many people were busy.  That's
okay, but I ended up leaving the beach early to get there on time and help out
(yeah, I know.  I'm such a martyr.)

 However, the fact that many of you, meaning most of you, didn't show up to
help out with showing off to Freshmen today to help generate interest in Eagle
Engineering doesn't make me any happier.  This was a huge day for us with over
350 people to reach out to, and there was only Evan, Jon, Amelia, and Sarin
(sorry if I misspelled it.) and I to talk to the Freshmen during lunch and move
the robots and other visual aids around.  I got more help from Courtney Munn
than the majority of the team.

 I know that I didn't get an email out in time, but that was due to a
circumstance outside of my control.  Even without this email, we still had
people show up.  This tells me that I should've expected more people to take
some responsibility in making a decision to research whether or not we were
going to show off for the Freshmen today, just as we have done so for the past
3 years.  You could have called me, I know my home number is on the team roster.

 I extend a huge thanks to the individuals who were present, but it also
creates a worry that we aren't reaching enough Freshmen.  To deal with my
sleepless nights, to qualm the nightmares of a non-Freshie team, I have to ask
that each and every team member do what it takes to recruit Freshmen.

 I don't care if it works to a large degree, but if someone recognizes you from
the team, or you hear someone talking about our team, YOUR team, you have a
responsibility to extend an open invitation to that individual to come to a
meeting, whether they'll stick with the team or not.  I have directly given
each and every one of you that responsibility henceforth.

 The Freshmen are the team's future, just as you were once.  Remember?  I
remember when I went to my first meeting.  That's the instant I was hooked, and
I know that is the same for many of you.

 Remember, if I know your face, then you are already an active member of this
team, and should be taking part in these daily ongoings.
 If you think something is going on, but you don't know, call someone on the
roster, or call my cell: 818.212.8679

 Also, just a quick note, I hear a lot of heresay about some well-established
members of the team deciding not to help out this year, or to not show up until
the build season.  That is no good for the team.  Quitting in your third year,
or just helping out when Robotics becomes most fun so you can say you did this
or that on the robot, and then travel across the country to compete
internationally is something I can see right through, and will take varied
forms of action against.

 "To                      me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of
something                      when you walk around. That way, if anybody says,
"Hey, can                      you give me a hand?" you can say, "Sorry, got
these sacks.""

 Have a good day.
 -Connor, Super-Genuis of the Universe Award Recipient, and Founder of Apple
Jack's BBQ Sauce, Co.

All on demand. Always Free.