[duxuser] Re: question for braille transcribers

  • From: "Angel" <Angel238@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 05:37:15 -0500

I just wanted to chime in here to say my mother was a transcriber for the Library of Congress from 1955 to maybe 1963. She use to Braille with a slate and stylus before we got a Perkins Brailler. I think she got that Brailler as much for her convenience as for me to do my school work. She would proof read her books prior to sending them to the proof readers. She got a trophy from the American Red Cross for brailing 5 perfect volumes. Wasn't that amazing? She had many different devices to perform erasures to fool the proof readers. When she Brailed with a slate and stylus, she would put shellac on the back of the individual pages to prevent the dots from being crushed. I wanted to become a proof reader once, and called the Library of Congress to find the materials I would need and mentioned her name. The gentleman with whom I spoke said he had heard her name and that was about 40 years after she stopped transcribing. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sandra McCoy" <smccoy67@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Leslie Hamric" <leslie.hamric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [duxuser] question for braille transcribers
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:38:47 -0600

Hello list.  I'm about to start working on my 35 page manuscript for NLS
certification as a literary braille transcriber.  For those of you who
are transcribers, what books did you used?  Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Leslie Hamric

Resource Production/Braille Transcriber

Illinois Instructional Materials Center