[duxuser] Re: long division sign

  • From: Renee Holmes <rholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:07:40 -0800

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Renee

At 03:25 PM 3/16/05 -0700, you wrote:
Renee,

Are these long division problems only, with none of the work shown?
[Apologies to blind readers--the following example will probably make no
sense as I'm using the closing parenthesis and underlining to construct
what looks like a print division problem.]
           _____
such as:  7)210

If so, it's easy, because the Nemeth braille for this is linear and
looks in ascii like this: #7o210

In the DBT print file, you do need the technical context code at the
beginning.  Then just enter 7o210 that is, the divisor, the letter o,
then the dividend (no spaces), and it will translate correctly.

If, however, the quotient is shown in print above the line, or if some
of the work is shown, it becomes a "spatial arrangement" and the easiest
way to do it is to wait until you've used CTRL-T to translate the rest
of the file, then insert the correct braille directly into the .brl file
using 6-key entry.  This requires that you know Nemeth Braille, or have
a good example to work from.

I hope this makes sense.
Lynn Carroll
Braille Production volunteer