[duxuser] ideas for new codes

  • From: "Jean Menzies" <jemenzies@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "DBT list" <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 11:34:24 -0700

Hi all,

I've always found table creation tedious in DBT. I'm hoping that Duxbury will
give this some serious attention in upcoming releases.

Is there any way that we could set up some table styles so that, for example,
we could define column widths? Say cell 1 might be defined as cells 1-10. Then
anything in that cell would automatically wrap with the correct 2-cell indent.
Each column could be defined so that cells within that column ran from x-cell
to x-cell. Column 2 might be defined to be cells 13-19. Whatever the numbers
might be, etc. And to finish this off, could we have a "tab to next cell" code
that would automatically put in the guide dots if required? One blank cell,
plus a minimum of three guide dots? There might have to be a normal tab plus a
"guide dots tab" code because not every line in a table requires guide dots.
E.g., a row heading that wraps, would require the guide dots on the last line
of the column. Hope that makes sense. You might need the option of using a
normal tab code or a tab with guide dots tab code, depending on how cell
navigation might be achieved. I haven't thought through that completely.

Currently, I find it difficult to create tables when we have to think line by
line, determining if a particular cell needs to have runovers,, counting blank
spaces for possible guide dots, etc.

Might this be possible and put on the priority list to improve table creation?

Jean

  "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts
can be counted."
--Albert Einstein