[duxuser] [duxuser]Re: A question about braille syntax

  • From: crystalslists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:24:25 -0600

I apologize for this late response to Dale Leavens's January 12 question about
the use of the "st" character in the word "mistake" in American braille.
Simple syllable division is actually not the reason the "st" is not used.
EBAE states that "Contractions may be used where the letters of the
contraction would overlap a minor and/or incidental syllable division" (Rule
X.34.a.(2) and gives the word "astringent" as the "st" example.  The
word "mistake" does not use the contraction because it crosses the syllable
division between a base word and a prefix (Rule X.34.a.(2)b.(2) ... lest we
all abandon the full use of a convenient and ubiquitous contraction!

From a contracted SiSTer CrySTal ...

Crystal Roy
Braille Access Center
North Dakota Vision Services/School for the Blind
500 Stanford Road
Grand Forks, ND  58203
701-795-2713
croy@xxxxxxxxxxx