[duxuser] Re: Re Spiral binding

  • From: "Noralyn Hansen" <NHansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:44:26 -0700

Diane:
Just a note on covers for the  Brailled pages. I was given a supply of used
lamination ( of different sizes and thicknesses) . I cut it to the size I need
and I use what can go through the hole punch on the binder.  It does  make
great covers. Noralyn

>>> dianenousanen@xxxxxxxxx 01/25/06 11:24 AM >>>
We mostly use the plastic combs here--they're relatively quick and inexpensive.
I dislike them, but prefer them over wire for the reasons George gave.
Preferable for braille, but more difficult to assemble, are the Krebs binders
from APH. A hard binding sits on a shelf much better than a plastic one, they
can hold more pages, they hold up much better to use, and aren't affected by
heat. I just toured the exhibits at American Library Assn. midwinter meeting
and saw a heat-and-glue system (they have strips of glue which are laid between
the spine and the pages and then heated to melt the glue) (the company is Cover
One in Dallas). Unfortunately they don't have covers large enough for 11x11.5
braille pages, but it worked well with print. That said, one of our textbook
suppliers tried gluing our braille textbooks a few years ago and it was a
complete disaster.

This is definitely an area where some creative person could devise a better
system.

Diane Nousanen
DianeNousanen@xxxxxxxxx
1100 West 45th St.