[duxuser] Re: Puzzled

  • From: Patrick Burke <burke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:33:07 -0700

Hi Fina,

At 10:58 AM 10/24/2002, Fina wrote:

I am working on a document; a menu to be exact and I want to know whether when you're working in Duxbury and editing a dxp file, if the returns and page breaks in the dxp file would be the same as in the dxb file?

Well, yes & no. Any line breaks ([l], [<], [sk#]) will show up in the Braille version. So will hard page breaks [pg]. But since less material fits on a Braille page, there will be more pages in the dxb file & they won't match the print. If you want to show print page numbers then you would use the Textbook Format when opening the document. Or you can add [pg] codes to force both dxp & dxb files to go to a new page at the same time.

After I translated the file, I noticed that the new category heading, according to duxbury, started on page 12, line fifteen. I of course, skipped a line between the heading and the first item.

If you're using [h1] for the heading, Duxbury includes the line-skip for you.

When I looked at the first item to see if it was formatted the way i wanted it. I noticed that duxbury had gone to a new page, page thirteen. When it changed to the next item; there's a blank line between the two items; duxbury had once again changed page numbers, this time, saying it was at page fourteen. Hmmm!!

I have revealed my codes and there's no indication of a hard page break there at all. So, if anybody can solve this puzzle for me, i sure would appreciate it!

Sometimes Duxbury "protects" a block of text, keeping it from being broken up across pages. So if the first item in your list is too long to fit at the end of page 12, Dux will move it to page 13. In these cases it's usually best to move the heading to the new page as well, so that the reader can immediately know what the heading refers to. You can do this by putting a hard page break in front of the heading.

So your code would look something like.

[pg]
[es~h1.]Desserts[ee~h1]
[es~list.]Lemon Meringue Pie ... [ee~list.]

Hope this helps somewhat,

Patrick