[duxhelp] Vertical Centering.

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 00:12:55 +0100

Hi all,

You may not be aware of some new Codes that have been added.

Users have repeatedly asked for a code to Vertically Center text - for a
Title Page for example.

These codes are just yelling out to be put into a "Title Page" Style,
but before I suggest this, would you like to try them out please?

I am especially interested in your interpretation and application of the
third listed below, which essentially allows you to align text at the
bottom of the page, or.... well I'm not quite sure.

George.

[vcs] -- Starts vertical centering.  The vertical centering takes place
when a page is finished, so the [vcs] can come anywhere on the first
page that is to be vertically centered, that is before any [pg] or [top]
command that would eject that page, and the [vce] must come AFTER the
command that ejects the last page to be vertically centered.

[vce] -- Ends vertical centering.  See [vcs]

[vcsM:N] -- Start vertical page alignment by applying the fraction N/M
to the number
of lines that would otherwise be left empty at the bottom, and adding
that many blank
lines to the top. M and N default to 2 and 1 respectively. Thus [vcs1]
effects approximate
bottom alignment. (Bottom alignment may not always be "perfect" because,
when a body
of text is started later on a page and re-flowed, under some
circumstances [such
as when the first line as been shortened to accommodate a page number]
the line breaks
may not always occur at the same positions and hence the text itself may
occupy a
different number of lines than it did originally.)