[duxhelp] Re: Not able to get desired lines per braille page.

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:34:40 -0400

I own three Index Basic-D braille embossers. Firmware version II,
software version 4.40 installed.

Since the beginning of the Beta Cycle for the release of DBT 10.5, I
have been trying to understand why I cannot emboss the desired number
of lines per page from the embosser when using DBT 10.5.

Following are the settings that I set in the Basic-D:

Group Page Layout Menu

Characters Per Line: 30

Left Margin: 0

B Margin: 0  (This is actually Binding Margin).

Top Margin: 1

Bottom Margin: 0

Line Spacing: 5.2  (At this setting, with the top margin set to 1, the
embosser can emboss 25 lines per page.  With a top margin of 0, the
embosser can emboss 26 lines per page but the embosser starts
embossing approximately 1 quarter of an inch from the top of the page,
which is too near the top of the page.

Page Mode: Double-Sided

Print Mode: Normal

page number: off

Paper Length 1: 11 inches

Paper Length 2: 11 inches

Z-folding: Off

Group Option Settings

Word Wrap: Off

Auto Line Feed: Off

Form-Feed: Off

Impact Level: 4

Delay Time: 4

Print Quality: Normal

Graphic Dot Distance: 2.0

Text Dot Distance: Normal Pring-out Mode 2.5

Setup: Open

Paper Jam: On

Distance After File: 1

DBT 10.5 Settings:

Global Embosser Settings:

Braiiller Device: Basic-D

Under Brailler Device Edit Button:

General Tab Page:

Embosser Model: Index Basic-D

Setup Name: Basic-D

Default Form:  Narrow Width, 11 inch long, braille paper

Output Options: Write to port

Output to LPT1

Device Settings Tab Page

Embosser Version: Firmware Version II

Left margin (extra cells): 0

Rightmost cell placement: 30

Top Margin setting: 1

Interpoint embossing is enabled: checked

Output encoding: North American

High Punctuation: Uppercase

Letter case: Lowercase

Advanced Tab Page

Job setup, use custom job setup: unchecked

End of line indicator: Carriage Return, line feed (PC)

End of page indicator: Form Feed Only

EOL on a full line: Checked

The last four buttons on this page are unchecked

Returning to the Global Embosser Setup Page

Braille formatting form: Narrow width, 11 inch long, braille paper

Desired formatting:

Characters per line: 30

Lines per page: 25

Top Margin: 1

Binding Margin: 0

Emboss in interpoint: Checked

Emboss Banner page: unchecked

When I emboss a file with the above settings, I do not get a braille
file with 25 lines embossed on each side of the page as I would
expect.  However, If I set the number of lines in DBT to 24, I get a
braille output that has 24 lines of braille on each side of the sheet
of paper.

Please advise me as to how I can get 25 lines on each side of a sheet
of paper, using the above settings.

I have run out of ideas.

Personally speaking, all of the embosser information should not be
contained in one embosser such as "emb.elt".  It would be a far more
sensible and logical, not only to say, more efficient for operating
and troubleshooting reasons to have DBT create an individual file for
each embosser that is installed.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber