[drivingpairs] in the beginning......

  • From: "drivingpairs" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pairs List" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 12:05:00 -0500

Way back when combined driving, as a sport  was in it's infancy, fours were the
only participants at the international level.   I'm not that old, so I don't
remember whether this was true of advanced CDEs in the US (just
kidding....actually too old and don't remember).    My point is that there was
a time when pairs and singles weren't taken seriously and therefore, not
included as representatives of the US.   Pairs came into the picture later.
Then singles.   Now, as we all know, ponies are included.
I personally think the fours folks are still a bit bent out of shape about not
being an "only child" anymore.   Fours and pairs are not competitors, per se.
But if only fours folks are on the committee deciding which pairs to send,
perhaps there isn't enough $$$$ to send both pairs and fours to a national
competition and the outcome is obvious.

Of course, this is pure conjecture on my part.    We still deserve
clarification and a valid reason from the committee.   The driving community,
and especially the pairs drivers who worked so hard to get to that level,
deserve at least that much.

Helen