[drivingpairs] Virus Hoax

  • From: Tetoncabins@xxxxxx
  • To: sdauclair@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:57:40 EST

Sorry for the inconvenience...

You don't need to reinstall -- the following is from the Symantec site on
hoaxes --- Me :) (Hey wanna know HOW I KNEW this--yeppers, I deleted the
SULFNBK.EXE file only you HAVE to HAVE that one. But I had made a backup
copy on a disk first so I just copied it back)

Jdbgmgr.exe file hoax
Reported on: April 12, 2002
Last Updated on: March 20, 2003 10:50:15 AM

Symantec Security Response encourages you to ignore any messages regarding
this hoax. It is harmless and is intended only to cause unwarranted concern.

Type: Hoax
This hoax, like the SULFNBK.EXE Warning hoax, tries to encourage you to
delete a legitimate Windows file from your computer. Jdbgmgr.exe is the file
to which the hoax refers, and it is the Microsoft Debugger Registrar for
Java. The Jdbgmgr.exe file may be installed when you install Windows.

NOTE: Recent versions of this hoax take advantage of the recent outbreak of
the W32.bugbear@mm worm. The Jdbgmgr.exe file mentioned in the hoax has a
bear icon. The actual W32.bugbear@mm worm file is a .exe file and does not
have a bear icon.

The Windows Jdbgmgr.exe file has a teddy bear icon in the hoax, as
illustrated below:

CAUTION: A virus can infect Jdbgmgr.exe. The W32.Efortune.31384@mm virus, in
particular, targets this file. Norton AntiVirus has provided protection
against W32.Efortune.31384@mm since May 11, 2001.

NOTE: If you have already deleted the Jdbgmgr.exe file, in most cases, you
do not need to re-install it. The following quote is extracted from the
Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Virus Hoax: Microsoft Debugger Registrar
for Java (Jdbgmgr.exe) Is Not a Virus (Q322993)."

"The Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java (Jdbgmgr.exe) is only used by
Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 developers.

If you follow the e-mail message instructions and delete this file, you do
not have to recover it unless you use Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 to develop
Java programs on Windows XP, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98 Second Edition,
Windows 98, or Windows 95."

If you need to restore this file, follow the instructions in "Virus Hoax: