[drivingpairs] Heel Chain Covers (Trace End Covers?)

  • From: "Heather J. Parker" <parker_prince@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:57:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I've gotten quite a few responses.  I'll take
pictures this weekend when I get my horses out.
Then post them on my website and send the link.

You don't need to have heel chains to use the
covers.  They would work on other types of trace
ends too.  If you use an extender or converter,
the trace tends to flop around more because of
the buckle or snap being right there.  I know
that converters and extenders are meant to be a
temporary solution until you can get the right
length trace, but some of us don't have the
luxury to have multiple sets of traces for every
vehicle or setup.

I have a set of draft show harness that when used
with the cart, I have to remove the heel chains
and use the slots that are cut in the trace.  On
a carriage, I use a dee on the end of the trace.
I also have a set of heel chains for when he
would be worked in a pair.  It doesn't matter how
I hook him, I can use the covers.  It just makes
it look neater.

The heel chain cover goes over your trace end
covering your chain, converter, extender, etc.
Sometimes, the chains on the work harness are not
chromed/stainless or old and starting to look
icky.  You can use these to cover them up.  Also
keep the ends from clanging against the vehicle
as much and chip the paint up.  If you have metal
trees, it may help with the clanging.

As I said above, covering up the converter and
extenders make the trace look neater.  You
wouldn't do this for your ADS carriage class, but
I have for draft shows, training level shows and
other driving.

I was also thinking that if you were driving a
horse in draft (like pulling a tire) with shorter
tugs and longer chains, the legs sometime rub.
This would help with that too.

My mom always complains to me about one of my
horse's heel chains.  I hadn't gotten around to
making covers and she saw what the heel chains
look like.  They are the regular kind that rust,
but in great shape. She is always trying to get
me to paint them.  I have another set of
stainless heel chains that I could swap out, but
I have made another set of covers instead.

The only bad thing is if you get lazy and don't
check whatever is under the cover, you could be
setting yourself up for a problem.  You should
always check on a regular bias to make sure
everything is still OK under that cover.  That is
why I like Velcro.

Heather in Rainy San Diego, CA

Heather J. Parker
parker_prince@xxxxxxxxx