[dps-chat] Re: Subject headings and conversation threads

  • From: Lindsay Graham <LDGraham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 16:18:54 +1100

Thank you, Rob. However, the point I was trying to make was that it is not sufficient to just reply to an existing email and change the subject heading. When determining whether an email is part of an existing conversation, the email systems don't look at the subject heading, they look at the headers and the original subject heading, NOT the new one, is retained in the headers. Thus, Rob, your email headed 'New Subject - three different witnesses prove a point' is treated by our wonderful computer systems as being in the same conversation as my emails headed 'Subject headings and conversation threads' because you changed the subject heading in an existing email. Hope that makes sense -- the solution is to create a new email instead of changing the subject heading of an existing email.

I agree that using 'meaningful subject lines' is also very important, but it is not the issue that I was addressing.

Lindsay

From: Rob Nelson, Perth WA <perthdps@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 11/12/16 14:00
Subject: [dps-chat] New Subject - three different witnesses prove a point

G'day All ... note the new subject line <g>.

I do try and change my messages to 'meaningful subject lines' but I suspect others, in their eagerness to reply AND be part of the conversation, may miss that point.

On 10/12/16 23:25, Lindsay Graham wrote:
I'm really enjoying reading the invigorated list, even though my interest in WA is somewhat limited and I don't even live in WA (although I do visit at least once a year). And being able to send attachments is a big plus compared to Rootsweb.

But I'd like to ask a favour of those members who do contribute regularly. Each time a new conversation (that is, a new topic) is started, could it be done as a new email with an appropriate subject heading? That is the norm for all email mailing lists. In other words, if you have a new topic, create a new email, don't hijack an existing conversation and just change the subject heading. This would makes the archives much easier to browse and, more importantly, it makes reading through messages in conversation form very much easier.

The screen grab attached shows what can happen now -- 20 or so messages in 4 or 5 different conversations all threaded as *one *conversation. How much easier it would be if each conversation were shown in its own thread, especially for those who like to read through one conversation at a time.

Plea all finished!!

Lindsay Graham, Canberra