[dps-chat] My grandma went to school with her uncle and auntie

  • From: "Rob Nelson, Perth WA" <perthdps@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ALL <dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 13:31:40 +0800

G'day ALL ...

A few days ago I took a sideways step and wrote about the early Methodist Church in Moorabbin, VIC which began in a tent in the 1850s before graduating to permanent buildings in 1854 and again in 1867.

You may remember the author I was quoting concluding:

---->

The market gardening community of early Moorabbin had a number of shared characteristics: most members derived from poor circumstances in the British Isles, arriving in Australia with few or no financial resources; they were strongly family-oriented and, in many cases, highly fertile, spawning ancestral trees formidable in dimension; and they were staunchly religious.

<----

Bringing this back to my HELLIER mob who came out to Ballarat and Bendigo from Bristol, large families were part of the course, although the elder brother, Thomas, was not so lucky as he was plagued by Scarlet Fever at one stage and lost a son, 10, and an infant while he was burying the son. Later in life, his wife was plagued by miscarriages or deaths in infancy.

Thomas' brother Eli, on the other hand, raised 11 children and only lost two in early childhood. My g-grandfather, John Thomas Eli (J.T.E.) was born in 1860 and was his second child and oldest surviving son.

Now J.T.E. was another good breeder and he raised 9 children and only lost one at an early age.

The odd thing was, that he married in 1880 and started having children in Melbourne in 1881, with my grandma coming along in 1887.

To put things in perspective, His father, Eli, had his first three kids in Bendigo, the next four in NZ, the next four back in Bendigo, and the last one in Fitzroy in 1884 (after J.T.E had already sired two).

The final bit of perspective is that the SDAs hit Melbourne in 1885, and more specifically, North Fitzroy where both Eli and J.T.E were now living. So I could reasonably assume that my grandma, who was born in 1887 in Fitzroy, would have grown up with her 3 year-old Uncle Alfred and 6 year-old Auntie Rose.

To progress the yarn a bit further, it's time to look a bit more at J.T.E who we learned the other day took out a patent on a 'fly-trap' ... as you do!

I'm pretty sure he was the one who along with his brother Herbert, took to the SDA life in a big way ... we already know that Herbert headed off to the US to become a medical missionary, but J.T.E. put his hands to many things and apart from owning Hellier & Co. glaziers and paper hangers, he was credited with having the building contract for the first SDA church in North Fitzroy and holding various executive roles in the SDA organisation as it grew in size.

He was often listed as a commercial traveler and that confused me at first until I found ads in the Bendigo paper announcing that he had the agency for selling SDA literature in Bendigo and Castlemaine.

My dad's cousin was quite blunt when he summed up his grandfather's character:

---->

My mother described her father as a "commercial traveler", although I do not know in what line of business. In a black-covered exercise book he describes a journey around the world by sailing vessel in 1882-3, but it appears to have been for pleasure only, and was the first of several long
absences from his wife and family. A faded old sepia photograph shows him standing on the steps of a ruined building in San Francisco after the great earthquake and fire in 1906. From another early photograph it appears that Rebecca's parents and elder sister Priscilla looked after her and her young family during these absences.

John Hellier was evidently a devoutly religious man, albeit a selfish one, and in his journal he refers to his young wife Rebecca in loving terms. Yet if the dates are correct, he departed Melbourne on his seven months journey around the world only eight days before the birth of his second son William on 24/12/1882!

He appeared obsessed with the social evils he found rife in London at the time, and dwelt ad nauseam on them and on detailed descriptions of St. Paul's Cathedral and the Tower of London. His outward voyage in the barque "Crummock Water" of 995 tons via Cape Horn took exactly three months; the return voyage in SS "Iberia" via the Suez Canal took six weeks.

<----

I'll have to dig a bit further, but I suspect he may have been on an earlier voyage with his new wife in 1881 as the Bendigo Advertiser carried a NZ shipping announcement:

---->

AUCKLAND, 12th November.
The Pacific Mail Steamship Company's s.s. Australia arrived here this morning after a very fast passage of 19 days 15 hours from San Francisco. The following is her list of passengers:—
Mr. and Mrs. Anderson and Miss Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Miss Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Hellier, Messrs. Thomas, W. Fleming, Lucas Smith, Arundel, Mellin, Marks, Synnot, McColl, Jaygarth.

<----

Time will tell, but this J.T.E will prove to be just as interesting as his brother Herbert, our San Francisco correspondent.

It's a pity that the 'black-covered exercise book' that was mentioned above isn't available, but I can only hope that I can track it down via the family of dad's cousin. I do have J.T.E.'s heavily annotated Bible and a publication he put out after the turn of the century when he was engineering a split within the SDA church over which day should be regarded as the Sabbath here in Australia.

I'll close off by attaching another early map from Brighton in Victoria ... this one shows all the land owned by Mr Dendy.

Cheers, ROB!

rnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxx