[dps-chat] Greymouth NZ - an old-timer remembers growing up from 1867 to the 1880s

  • From: "Rob Nelson, Perth WA" <perthdps@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ALL <dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 16:15:20 +0800

G'day ALL ...

As promised yesterday, this is the beginning of a 5-part account of growing up in Greymouth, NZ in the 1860s as seen through the eyes of an 8 year-old who came ashore with his mum, brother and sisters.

My Eli Hellier and his brother George were there too as would have been Eli's wife and his 3 Bendigo-born kids, another born in Dunedin and three more who were born in Greymouth. The last to be born was our California correspondent, Herbert, who was born in 1871.

Since my g-grandfather was born in 1860, he would have been a year younger than our new correspondent.

I've done my best transcribing and proof-reading the accounts and hope others find the reading easy going and captivating.

The Grey River Argus carried the yarn in 1913 over the period of December 3, 4, 6, 8 & 9 and I'll spin them out for the rest of the week.

If people are offended by the amount of reading, they have every right to delete the messages but I hope those who persevere will find the experience edifying.

Cheers, and enjoy ... ROB!

rnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxx

----< Grey River Argus, 3 December 1913, page 7 >----->

GREYMOUTH IN THE SIXTIES: EARLY IMPRESSIONS

My first impression of Geymouth was a lasting one. With my mother, brother and sisters I left the good ship Airedale in the roadsted about 3rd January, 1867 and embarked on board the P.S. Persevere bound for the bar and the new Elderado. Those who remember her will recollect the Persevere was a very small craft and low in the water. Although the day was beautifully fine and the bar comparatively smooth an occasional bit of a roller would tumble aboad. I had never experienced anything of the kind that I remembered during my eight years' career, and expected the boat and all hands were going to 'Davey Jones'. I made enough row to wake the dead. Once over the bar the scene of the river in full flood tide, with the golden sheen of the summer sun, and the immense number of lovely seabirds flying about, was to me like a scene in fairyland.
In 1867 the wharf ran from about opposite the Custom House to the oId Post office which was about 50 yards above the Custom House. The rest of the river bank to the bar was quite unprotected, and nearly all the vessels consisting of fore and aft schooners moored along the river bank, put out planks and discharged cargo and passengers. This they could easily do as the river was quite deep close to the shore.

Being a youngster I was if anything, more eager to get ashore than the adults and was not long in doing so. I remember with what wonder I looked upon everything so new and novel, the immense number of diggers and others about the quays and all young men and women or mostly so. Indeed, I do not remember to have seen what is termed an old person for years afterwards. To my childish mind everyone seemed to have plenty of money and spending it in pubs particularly.

The chief attire of the men was a Crimean shirt, soft billy-cock hat, moleskin pants and knee boots. Such things as white shirts, collars, etc., were never seen, even at church, balls, etc., for years afterwards. I remember the first white collar being worn by some joker, the diggers bought all the white collars (they were only paper then) that were available and decorated the dogs with them. That finished white collars for a long time. Sunday rig consisted of billy-cock hat, Crimean shirt, red or green, silk sash, black peg-top pants and high-heeled elastic side boots. With women the crinoline was in full swinq and what awful things they were, like a large balloon.
At the time of my arrival the town consisted of that part from the quarry to Blaketown lagoon. There were no houses whatever on the other side of what was then Tidal Creek. Beyond the latter was all dense bush.

Pigeon and kaka shooting was done no further away than where the Public Hall or Opera House now stands. Mawhera and Richmond Quays were the only decent thoroughfares and these even were full of large tree stumps.

None but foot passengers could travel Mackay Street as it was full of stumps and water holes. There were other streets beyond that save in name. The first street at the top of the town was Custom-house street. This consisted of a few canvas tents chiefly occupied by boatmen (men who manned the cargo boats taking goods up country). There was quite a town ship of huts on the beach part opposite where the present railway station is situated, all occupied by boatmen, mostly Greeks. The next street, Waite, consisted of a few wooden shanties. In the next, Werita Street, were no houses at all, the first 5s 8d foundry was erected there some time afterwards behind the Bank of Australasia and was occupied by, I think, a gentleman called Rees, who sold out to the late W. H. Parkins. The site is now occupied by Mr M. Hannan's office. In the next, Tainui Street, on the eastern side, were the late Dr. P. Smith's surgery and one large store on high piles, as that part was mostly swamp. On the western side were Martin Kennedy's store, part of Gilmer and Sweeney's hotel, a barber shop kept by an American negro, Harrison's Hotel (father of Andrew Harrison of Nelson Creek). Martin Kennedy's (Black Martin) stables, and the hospital (afterwards converted into the Post Office.) The next, Albert Street; consisted of the late Dr. Morice's surgery. Glenn Bros.' store and bonded warehouse and McKinty's Hotel; opposite where the Church of England now stands lived the Coys and Marrons, down near the creek was old Wilson's boatshed and one or two shanties (I must not forget old Bradley the milkman, opposite Wilson's). Many a cargo, coal and other kind of boat old Wilson built there. There was nothing across the creek save bush.

About three or four years later the present "Bill Arnott" carpenter, built a dwelling there. It was the first building across the creek at Albert Street. The next, Boundary Street, was merely a water course, save where it had been partly constructed for traffic. A foot bridge about seven feet high crossed it from Mawhera Quay.

About 1869 the roadway was formed across this part, and another road was, with a large culvert, constructed about this time across Boundary St. and Mackay Street. Prior to this at spring tides the water came up Boundary Street and met the water of the river. Boundary Street was then a large lake and the waters flooded all the land between Arney Street, the eastern side of Boundary Street and Gresson Street. Plenty of fish came up with the tide and we used even to catch whitebait in and about Boundary Street. The next street, Johnston St., was one of the busiest streets in the town. Nearly the whole of the traffic came down Richmond Quay by Johnston Street to Gresson Street. The latter was hardly passable save in fine weather being most swamp and stumps. The traffic to Arney Street went chiefly down Richmond Quay, which was then a very busy thoroughfare. Johnston Street contained three pubs besides one at the corner of Gresson St., and another at the corner of Richmond and Mawhera Quays. One pub the "Montezuma" was kept by a typical Irish-American, Dan Lynch. It was there I saw my first and only Red Indian. Dan was married to one and she was very good looking.

The next street was Druey Street. This was the most aristocratic part of the town. Another aristocratic part was along Mackay Street between Albert and Boundary streets. Arney Street contained one pub besides one at the corner of Richmond Quay and another at the corner of Gresson St.

In Mackay Street, there were two or three houses opposite Werita St. From Werita Street to Tainui Street on the south side, was occupied by Maori pahs. Old Greyites will recollect, most of the Maoris - old Tainui, his daughter-in-law and son, Albert and his wife, old Betty, Taiaroa and others.

The pah was on the present site of the Masonic Hall. The Maoris had other pahs up at the foot of the quarry and another which is now the present Victoria Park.

St Patrick's day was a gala day for them. The races were held then and they all attended. The woman dressed in flaming silks and satins. Most of them in the spring and summer time journeyed to the Arahura or Kaiapoi and gradually left, save for an occasional visit by one or two of them, but they eventually ceased altogether. Their last visit was on the occasion of the removal of their dead from the burial ground at the quarry to the head of the lagoon. The burial ground at the quarry was in a large cave through which a stream of water flowed. No one was ever able to ascertain where the water came from. The bodies were laid on shelves around the cave. When the Government intimated they intended to take the quarry (including the burial ground) there was the devil to pay, as anything pertaining to the dead is in Maori "tapu" or sacred. However, the Maori, like his pakeha brother is susceptible to a little palm oil and the way was smoothed, the bodies all being taken away. I have often thought what a harvest could have been made of greenstone and other Maori relics. Although I never took a squint at any of the remains, I am satisfied the cave must have been very rich in them, but pounamu in those days was about as valuable as a bit of glass.

At the corner of Mackay and Albert Street a bit of a footpath about three feet high which ran to nothing towards Boundary Street was built up. All the rest of Mackay Street was swamp or water holes, and stumps. In Hospital Street the first dwelling was old Jannie Brimble's which stood on the bank of Tidal Creek near Tainui Street. There were one or two shanties further along but that was all. There was no Leonard Street. McLean's store was the only place in what was afterwards part of the corner of Leonard Street. Between McLean's store and Arney Street bridge along Boundary Street was all bush, and in '67 was occupied by an immense number of diggers' tents.
With other youngsters the writer delighted in getting there at dusk when the fires were going and billies boiling. The place was thick with supple-jacks, and fires were easily made and kept going.

The first church was the Roman Catholic, in Arney Street, Father Roid. He was there for years, never rode a horse or in a conveyance while on his journeys, but always walked. He regularly visited every diggins through out the district. There were no roads or bridges, and he had to wade all rivers and creeks. None but the diggers and those on the diggings can have the least idea of the dangers and miles of weary travelling he risked and did in order to attend to the spiritual wants of his flock of sheep, goats, and wolves (and there were many of each).

Other denominations held their services in the old Town Hall in Gresson Street. I often heard the yarn that before any places of worship were erected or available some parsons held their services in the "Victoria" dance room, then two doors from the present Commercial Hotel. There was no hotel there then, the site was occupied by a barber's shop. The late Gerald Perotti built the hotel afterwards and the congregation could listen to the parson and also hear what was going on behind the drop sceen on the stage, where the boys were having a flutter, and their language was at times very lurid.

The first school was also the R. C. in connection with the Church. The master, or rather the chief one, was an old Frenchman (I never knew his name) and his lieutenant named Woods. As far as teaching was concerned they were the greatest frauds imaginable. A younster would be under them his life time and I doubt if he would learn his alphabet. I knew old Woods personally for years afterwards, and he was about as ignorant a man as you could find.

A school was afterwards started in the Town Hall. It had a very good attendance and was far in advance of the other, save on one occasion when it was presided over by a man named Warren. His hobby was nursery rhymes. He would teach these to the younsters all day long, and little else, and made them bawl their lessons out in unison. He was undeniably "dotty."

Education was very much below par and it was not until the late T. Thomas took the matter in hand that things improved, and they did wonderfully. He was a born schoolmaster and understood youngsters from A to Z. He started school in an old store in Arney Street, but afterwards built a school on the present site of the municipal buildings.

One who took the greatest interest in the rising generation was the late Rev. G. T. Watkins, Anglican clergyman. There was nothing bigoted or assuming about him. He treated all alike, and was the most charitable man I ever knew, not only in matters of religion but financially. He gave his all to others and many took a very mean advantage of his disposition. He was a bachelor and had a very old housekeeper named "Sarah." She was in disposition, the reverse of His Reverence. As sour as acetic acid and a face like a razor edge. There was continual warfare between them on account of his excess in charity. Many a time he gave away his dinner and took merely a snack.
I remember on one occasion old Sarah prepared an excellent Christmas dinner and the Rev. Watkins when he got to the Manse after his Christmas service was called upon by a certain member of his congregation, who woefully complained of her poverty and lack of Christmas cheer. He packed up his Christmas dinner and gave it to her.

This particular female and family for years posed as some of Greymouth's hall-marked aristocrats and she was the greatest sponger and hypocrite imaginable.

State school boys, of course, know all about the "Watkins' medal." This was the result of the interest the Rev. Mr Watkins took in education. How many of those who made money in Greymouth have left such a name and reputation as he?

There was also another school kept by Miss Fosbury in Mackay Street two or three doors above McLean's store. This was quite an exclusive institution and was attended by the blue-blooded aristocratic daughters of Greymouth's nobility. Miss Fosbury hailed from the land of "Pothen and Potatoes." She ws a regular heroine. After Miss Fosbury gave up the business the school was continued by Miss Jennings, who afterwards married R. J. Johnston the late, and for many years town engineer. When Miss Jennings succumbed to the inevitable, the school was continued by Mrs George in Arney Street.

The State School started in 1876 and knocked other schools out of existence.

Drs. Morice and Smith were the only medical men in those days. Dr. Morice lived in Albert Street, about the fourth house down. There was no building at Hallenstein's corner for a long time after. You could not mistake the Doctor's sign for he had it painted on the roof in letters about five feet high. About 1870 he removed to his late premises, Mawhera Quay.

Dr. Smith first lived in Tainui St. just behind the present Bank of New Zealand. He afterwards removed his surgery to Mawhera Quay about three doors above the then Bank of New Zealand (the bank at that time was in Mawhera Quay next to its present site). He was known as "Paddy the Quack," why, I nor anyone else ever knew. I remember a case being heard in Greymouth many years ago, all the medical men in and about Greymouth and elsewhere were called as witness. Old "Paddy Smith" amongst the rest.

The crowd thought they were going to have some fun when Paddy was called, as on account of the nick-name it was the general opinion that he really was a quack, and would be unable to produce any diploma or evidence of his right to practice.

Everyone was thunderstruck as he produced diplomas of a far higher grade than the other medicos.

<----< To be continued. >----