[dps-chat] Greymouth - Installment 5 of 5

  • From: "Rob Nelson, Perth WA" <perthdps@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ALL <dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 12:17:31 +0800

The end has come and as our unknown Greymouth correspondent concluded:

> This article is rather longer than I anticipated writing, and may not interest many, especially the modern Greyite, and for these it is not particularly intended.

Early in this final passage you'll come across the account of George HELLIER's death which is what drew me to this passage in the beginning.

As I've concluded already, my grandfather, J.T.E Hellier would have grown up alongside our correspondent, only being a year younger.

I've found the language and expressions of interest and wonder if others noted the use of Israelite instead of Jew, and Chow instead of Chinese?

In case anyone wonders, the final word in the article is defined as such:

/Mawhera/, the original Maori name for Greymouth, /means/ 'wide-spread river mouth'

Cheers for now, and enjoy the peace that'll follow ... until next time ... when South Africa awaits <g>.

ROB!

rnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxx

----< Grey River Argus, 9 December 1913, page 7 >---->

GREYMOUTH IN THE SIXTIES: (Continued)

Tom Fletcher, of Reefton, was for some years connected with the timber yard. There were two sawmills up Coal Creek, one owned by Watson and Wickes and the other by the late Chas Holder (the latter mill did not start for some years after Watson and Wickes.) Kilgour and Perotti about 1878 started a mill near Sawyer's Creek Bridge. It was totally destroyed by fire and started again.

The coal industry was started by Harry Rochfort, and was afterwards taken over by Harry Batty, and subsequently by "Hughes and McCarthy" (a Melbourne firm). Both the latter came over and attended to matters personally, but had eventually to succumb, and the business then fell into the hands of Martin Kennedy, the Union Company starting about the same time and the coal industry became the chief one on the Coast. I was reading an account of the greenstone industry now in full swing at Mt Victoria, which reminds me- of the early time when the South Beach was strewn with it, all shades, shapes and sizes. We thought nothing of it then; it was too common. The beaches were also strewn with enormous quantities of quartz. Such as the latter or greenstone has not been seen on the beaches for many, many years.

For many years the caretaker of the Masonic Hall, Andy became "mine host" of an hostelry on the Preston Road, known as the "Waverley." He ran a staging out into the lagoon, rigged two pontoons near the end and started a bathing club. All his friends of course joined to give the old chap a lift. The swimming at high water was first-rate, but at low tide there was very little water and if not careful, you dived into the mud. The place did not last long. This particular place (the Waverley ground) was first occupied by Tom Pelling's father, as a garden and a splendid garden it was. Years afterwards it was the residence of the Sweetmans.

During all the years I was in Greymouth there was only one swimming fatality. The circumstances were as follows: Old Eli Hellier kept a Pub down Arney Street, about half way to the bridge. His brother (when he had not seen for many years) came to visit him one Christmas time. They went out to the springboard for a swim. The day was warm, and when they got to the shed they were rather hot. The brother being ready first, took a header off the board, but never came up. They found his body five or six days after in deep water at the head of the lagoon. The body was in exactly the same position as when he dived off the board.

CRICKET.

Cricket was naturally the game of games and was always held in the Camp Reserve. As may be imagined it did not require a great hit to drive the ball over any of the fences, on to the Court House or through the latter window very often across Arney Street into one or other of the gardens. Matters reached a climax one day when the late W. H. Revell was holding Court. The ball went through the window and banged him on the head. The Club had then to place wire netting over the windows. There was always a ladder kept handy to get the ball off the Court House roof, and the fielders had invariably to scramble over a fence and hunt amongst the spuds, etc. in search of 'lost ball.' Sometimes the latter went into the manure heap (or rather slush) at the rear of the police camp, and the ball had to be hauled out with a rake and if the latter was not handy the fielder had no alternative but to 'wade' in and fish it out to the detriment of his beautiful white shoes and pants. The late Sir Arthur Guinness and our old friend Mr W.H. Perkins also were two of the earliest and more enthusiastic cricketers, also I doubt if there is an older cricketer in the Colony. I believe the latter played against the Engish team at Dunedin in 1861 or 1862, and Sir Arthur played against Lilley White's team in Christchurch in 1867.

Annual matches took place between Hokitika and Grey. Unless a steamer was handy, the journey en coach along the beach was three days, a little different to the present train journey of an hour or so.

FOOTBALL.

Football of course was the usual winter game, played in the Reserve. Sir Arthur was also an enthusiast, and the late W. H. Revell, S.M. There were no inter-town matches played until about 1885.

Fishing afforded great sport to those who indulged in it. The late W. Robinson, tinsmith, was the greatest fisherman I ever saw or knew. Even when I was in the knickerbocker stage, he spent all his available time at it, and kept it up until his demise. Herring was the chief sport. The river in those days swarmed with them, and everyone had lines and hooks. The herring fishing was all done from the sterns of the different vessels in port, and there were great disputes with the mates and sailors on account of the mess made. Another kind of fishing was "greyling." These congregated in shoals in the still waters along the rivers and were caught with jags, (three or four large hooks straightened out and fastened on the end of a stick.) In the sixties and early seventies these fish were very common, but some disease seemed to have got amongst them and they disappeared completely. I never saw one in the river again. What the disease was I do not know, but it gradually ate the parts affected, and the fish no doubt succumbed. Prior to 1872 the river under the wharf and inside the wooden breastwork was alive with shrimps, but no one ever took the trouble to catch them. They also disappeared with the 'old man' flood of 72. Whitebait of course, was always good and profitable sport. The Pakeha's first fishing net was made of scrim used by the paper-hangers, not until years afterwards did it srrike anyone to use the mosquito netting. The Maoris nets were large oblong baskets made of flax and fitted with a long manuka pole. The Pakeha would be running up and down, getting very wet, and often falling into the river. The Maori would stick his basket in the river, sit on the river bank, contentedly smoking his pipe and watching the basket. When the latter had a good haul, he would quietly draw it in. He could always beat the Pakeha at catching whitebait. There were no factories and the whitebait caught (save in the beginning of the season when the good price could be obtained) were mostly used for house copsumption. When the season was in full swing you could buy them for 6d a bucket, or even less; they were then chiefly used to feed ducks, etc.

The first factory was started by old Tom Foxcroft, the tinsmith, of High Street. The Chows caught and also purchased large quantities. They spread them out on sheets of galvanised iron, placed in the sun and dried them, then packed them in bags and sent them to China or elsewhere.
During the drying process you could not approach within a mile of the place. When there was only the breastwork along the river the boys fished for white bait off this and also the stringers from the works to the river bank and there were always one or two rows over who would first get his net before the shoal; very often one of the lads got a clout or shove, and sent into the river. That did not trouble them, they could swim like ducks. Any objectionable individual caught very few whitebait, as the boys would throw stones in front of his net and scattered the fish in all directions. Often a large boulder would be "flopped" into his net. I expect such things are still done.

Another kind of fishing was spearing flounders, and flatheads; at the tail end of the Cobden shingle bank, near the North Spit. The water was shallow and the river bed was all beautiful sandy bottom, in which were large numbers of both kinds of fish. Some of the fishers used jags, others proper shaped spears.

Another favourite place for this kind of fishing was at the Hospital, and on the island in the Hospital lagoon and also at the mouths of Sawyers and Tidal creeks.

These places were also beautiful sandy bottoms. The fisher stripped off his pants and tied up the remainder of his cloth with a piece of flax, waded in and felt about with his feet until he discovered his fishship, or saw him which he often did, paiticularly the flounders, and then he let go his jag or spear. Night was a very good time for spearing. There were no electric lamps in those days, a candle stick in one of those lolly tins with a glass front; was used. If the water was deeper than usual the fisherman stripped altogether.

It is nearly fifty years since the times I have written about, and a long time to remember, but when I look back, I can in my minds eye, see everything and everybody as they were in those days of long ago. Nearly the whole of the business people, drapers, merchants, hotelkeepers, together with bank managers, customs officers, etc. etc., were little more than lads. Such a thing as an elderly person was hardly to be seen; where are they all? If a parade were made of those still in existence, what a sorry sight they would look. Not one of those who were boys and girls remains, save as a silvery haired, and perhaps decrepit, man or woman, many of them even grandparents.

Of all who were in business in Greymouth in the sixties I doubt if there is one now alive; and the bridge of time seems very short.

This article is rather longer than I anticipated writing, and may not interest many, especially the modern Greyite, and for these it is not particularly intended. If considered of sufficient interest and time, etc. allows, I shall give some reminiscences of individuals, incidents, matters political etc., connected with Greymouth's early history.

MAWHERA.

<----