[dps-chat] Delmore, Delamore, Dillmore, Delamare

  • From: Archie <archive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 08:57:36 +0800

Hiya All

These are just some of the surnames used by Jeramiah, a farmer of Toodyay from his birth in 1845 to his death in 1924. As far as is known he never married and so has no descendants.

In 1924, aged 78 or 79, he launched legal proceedings to confirm his claim on a block of land which had been owned by his father. (page 2 of the Toodyay Herald of 17^th May, 1924)

My question is, why would a man of old age launch such an action. Would it be to protect his ownership of said block or would it be to ensure he could leave it to a relative or even an unknown descendant.

I will be heading into SRO on Tuesday to check for a will or probate but I am curious about possible motives. I doubt the name will mean anything to anyone :)

regards, John

---