[donspatch] 2009-11-01

  • From: Don Crowder <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 01:10:23 -0500

#128 November 1, 2009  from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

A few weeks ago, because I'd heard and read so much about
it, I requested invitations to Google Voice for myself and
Lisa.  Her closing statement will tell you all about what
a good idea that turned out to have been.  Today I decided I'd
better get us on the list for Google's next 'big thing';
Google Wave.  When I requested the invitations we didn't
know anything at all about Google Wave but, since then,
we sat down and watched this 80 minute video...
http://wave.google.com/help/wave/about.html#video
...and now we're pretty hyped about it.  We think Google
Wave is going to change the face of education and the
internet. Here are some knowledgeable comments.
http://www.technologyinthearts.org/?p=1143
http://snipurl.com/sz6ee   [mfeldstein_com]
http://snipurl.com/sz6ev   [edtechatouille_blogspot_com]
http://snipurl.com/sz6g0   [www_isteconnects_org]
http://lifehacker.com/5381219/google-waves-best-use-cases

Recently I've learned a few interesting things:

Any job at all, no matter how menial or ill paid, is more
profitable than working for Amazon's Mechanical Turk...
https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome
...but, if you don't have a darn thing else to do, you
can make a few dollars a week working there.

Answering questions on aardvark...   http://vark.com/
...doesn't pay anything but it's a lot of fun.

My trying to work on mturk has been very good for
aardvark because every time I get bored with the
work I take a break and go answer questions on
aardvark.  :)

See you next time.

Don

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

Don's blog.
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549

Lisa's blog.
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

Section One by Don.

Growing up in a lower-middle class American home,
one of our most prized possessions, on display in
our living room for all to see, was our set of
encyclopedias.  Knowledge was revered in our home
but not as a thing of awe an mystery, it was more
like ice cream; something eminently desirable
which one gladly accepted any time it was offered.
My parents are gone but the love of knowledge
remains alive and well in my home.  The encyclopedias
however have been replaced by the internet. Anyone
in control of a computer and a connection to the web
has more information at their fingertips than any
set of hard-bound encyclopedias could possibly
contain and this incredibly massive database,
which we call the internet, is growing exponentially
on a daily basis.  The skills required to access,
manipulate and utilize this wealth of information
are rapidly becoming a vital part of every citizen's
education.  Now, more than ever, if you snooze, you
lose.  Fortunately there are plenty of websites
out there functioning to help folks like you and
me cope with the sheer volume of information.
Answers to questions.
http://answers.yahoo.com/
http://www.answerbag.com/
http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/
http://ask.metafilter.com/
http://askville.amazon.com/Index.do
http://www.answers.com/
http://www.wisegeek.com/
http://snippets.com/
http://www.justanswer.com/
http://vark.com/
Note: the sites above are all general in nature.  For
answers on a given topic just google the topic+answers
For example, if you have questions about philately
(stamp collecting) googling this string...

philatelic+answers

...returns, among many other results, this site.

http://www.askphil.org/

Ambiguous answers.
http://www.peteranswers.com/

Share your experience.
http://www.experienceproject.com/index.php
http://www.frommyexperience.com/
http://www.lookstoogoodtobetrue.com/experience.aspx

There's even hope for folks who don't have access
to the internet due to the efforts of Rose Shuman.
I spotted this article first...
http://www.voanews.com/specialenglish/2009-10-11-voa2.cfm
...and, with google, found some more info.
http://snipurl.com/stahn   [www_racialicious_com]
http://www.questionbox.org/

The web is also great when you want to learn how
to do just about anything you can imagine.  Here
are some general 'how to' resources.
http://www.ehow.com/
http://www.wikihow.com/Main-Page
http://www.wonderhowto.com/
http://www.instructables.com/
http://www.howcast.com/
http://www.howtodothings.com/
http://www.howstuffworks.com/
http://www.knowledgehound.com/
and of course specific information can be had by
simply asking a question of your search engine.
For example, I typed the following into google...

how to make a kite

...just as you see it, without quotes and the very first
result, from Canadian  Jennifer Chan was a good one.

http://www.skratch-pad.com/kites/make.html

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa

Two of my favorite subjects, food and finances.
http://snipurl.com/sxx7c   [www_thesimpledollar_com]

One of the better, easier-to-navigate DIY sites.
http://www.doityourself.com/

A wonderful nature photographer based in Florida.
As unbelievable as it looks, this is real stuff, y'all.
http://floridanaturephotographer.blogspot.com/

Have you heard of the federal First Time Home Buyer's
Tax Credit?  There's one month left to qualify, here's
how to do it.
http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com/2009/index.html

One of the best online recipe search engines,
I have a quick-link for this one.
http://www.foodieview.com/

'Tis the season for SAD (Seasonal Affective
Disorder).  Read how natural light can help a lot.
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy02osti/30769.pdf

Have a question?  Mad-Sci Network has the answers.
http://www.madsci.org/

So cute, you just have to Squeee!
http://dailysquee.com/

Webmaster and programmer Mike has some
cool goodies for you.
http://green-beast.com/experiments/

Useful and entertaining lists.
http://www.listamatic.com/

Header graphics for personal web sites and blogs.
http://www.freewebpageheaders.com/

Like to go out to eat on Christmas Day?
http://snipurl.com/sxyb4   [socyberty_com]

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 374.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other informational
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/
http://www.archicentral.com/
http://why.knovel.com/
http://www.more.com/
http://www.westboroughlandtrust.org/nn/nnindex.php
http://technology.inc.com/
http://www.mindconnection.com/
http://levarburton.com/
http://www.building43.com/
http://b4tea.com/
http://kidicarus222.blogspot.com/
http://www.filleosophy.com/
http://jfluhmann.edublogs.org/
http://www.whoisandrewwee.com/
http://www.aaroncrowe.net/
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/newwest/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/90872238@N00/

Section Three by Don.

Job hunting?   http://www.jobofmine.com/

A resource for teachers in the UK.
http://www.jorum.ac.uk/

Another online dictionary.   http://onelook.com/

Educational videos for kids.   http://watchknow.org/

One of the coolest tweaks you can make to a digital photo
is the histogram.   In the Gimp, look for 'Levels' under
'Colors'.  Here's some info on histograms.
http://snipurl.com/sueuz   [www_luminous-landscape_com]
Note:  The Gimp is an Open Source, cost-free, very
powerful image editor available for any platform.
http://www.gimp.org/

A few good internet tutorials.
http://snipurl.com/suf04   [www_lib_unc_edu]
http://www.easywebtutorials.com/
http://www.sc.edu/beaufort/library/pages/bones/bones.shtml
http://www.truste.com/resources/index.html
http://snipurl.com/suf8g   [www_ehow_com]
http://snipurl.com/suf9k   [www_lib_berkeley_edu]
http://www.learnthenet.com/english/index.html
http://www.chatdanger.com/

A massive safety portal.   http://www.thesafetylibrary.com/

Open Office Writer...
http://www.openoffice.org/
...is multi-platform, fully compatible with MS Word (and is
a component of an Open Source, MS Office compatible suite of
programs) but there are times when it's overkill.
Abiword...   http://www.abisource.com/
...is a very nice, full featured, multi-platform Open
Source word processor, smaller and faster than Open Office
Writer, which can read and write many MS Word files (and
is my personal favorite word processor).  Windows users
have a couple of extra choices for a lightweight word app
that's better than Wordpad.  The first, Jarte...
http://www.jarte.com/  ...can be thought of as 'Wordpad on
steroids.  The second, TibetDoc is eclectic, but very cool
(yes, it's made for Tibetan but it also supports English).
http://www.tibet.dk/tcc/tdoca.htm

The piano education page.  http://pianoeducation.org/

A cute, funny video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lVS22y4uoU

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

Holidays and unusual commemorative days.
http://www.holidayinsights.com/
http://www.awarenessdates.com/2009_03_01_archive.html
http://www.shinyshack.com/blog.php?st=commemorative+days
http://snipurl.com/sxyct   [www_timeanddate_com]

Energy efficiency and renewable energy.
http://www.energysavers.gov/

Why, how and how often should you wash your hands?
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hand-washing/HQ00407

Gardening community.  http://www.gardenstew.com/

National Jewish Health website.
http://www.nationaljewish.org/

Buying and getting started with your new Mac.
http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php

Colors for web designers-or anyone.
http://www.morecrayons.com/

Elephants can paint!
http://www.elephantart.com/catalog/splash.php

Active US hate groups.
http://www.splcenter.org/intel/map/hate.jsp

How to clean just about anything.
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/

Tips on careers in chemistry.
http://acscareers.wordpress.com/

Mobile banking has not quite caught on in the
US like it has in other countries, but for now
it seems to be at least as safe as online banking,
perhaps even safer.  For those who are interested,
here's an explanation and an opinion.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10164244-83.html

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

The demise of Reading Rainbow marks the end of
an era.  Wonder what LeVar will do now?
http://snipurl.com/svn2u   [www_npr_org]

A few sheet music resources.
http://www.bh2000.net/score/
http://www.musicnotes.com/free/
http://www.free-scores.com/
http://www.8notes.com/

Some out-of-the-ordinary pets.
http://www.rabbit.org/index.html
http://www.binkybunny.com/
http://www.ferretcentral.org/

Pet info in general.
http://www.peteducation.com/
http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/index.html

Converting documents from one format to another can be
troublesome, as well as costly if you don't have the
appropriate software app.  It's nice that there are
websites which will do the conversion for you.
http://www.zamzar.com/
http://www.youconvertit.com/ConvertFiles.aspx
http://media-convert.com/

Lisa believes in, and uses, homeopathic medicines.  They
work quite well for her. Some of her homeopathic remedies
have worked very nicely for me; some of them haven't.  From
my perspective, the jury is still out on homeopathy.  Not
everyone agrees with me.
Pro.
http://www.homeopathyandmore.com/
http://www.homeopathyforall.com/
Con.
http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/homeopathy.htm
http://www.homeowatch.org/index.html

WalletPop strikes me as a fusion of Better Homes and
Gardens,  Consumer Reports and Infomercials.
http://www.walletpop.com/
Here, for example, is a cool, informative video.
http://snipurl.com/svrx6   [www_walletpop_com]

Virtual barter sites.
http://www.tradeaway.com/
http://www.barterbart.com/
http://www.swaptreasures.com/

Tough to describe this one.  How about 'which reminds me'.
http://www.freebase.com/

Useful home adaptations for the blind and visually impaired.
http://snipurl.com/svs4n   [www_lowvision_com]
More resources.   http://www.lowvision.com/tips/

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Don.

A resource for golfers.   http://www.the-golf-nut.com/

A resource for nail biters.   http://www.stopnailbiting.net/

Dr Mike's printable math games for kids.
http://www.dr-mikes-math-games-for-kids.com/index.html

A resource for people like me who still have a few teeth
left.   http://www.simplyteeth.com/index.asp

Government auctions.   http://www.governmentauctions.org/

Sort of a youtube for commercials.
http://www.advertolog.com/

Interactive consumer advice.   http://www.my3cents.com/

DIY forums.   http://www.diychatroom.com/

Coupons and such.   http://www.fatwallet.com/

A resource for freelance writers and curious readers.
http://www.helium.com/

The latest (aggressively promoted) singles site.
http://www.plentyoffish.com/

He hasn't exactly made any long flights but Jesse van Kuijk
has actually managed to get airborne under his own power.
http://snipurl.com/syrlb   [www_spiegel_de]
The not-so-impressive video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfKP132RKqw

Human powered transportation, in these energy
challenged times, is becoming quite the rage.
http://www.ihpva.org/
http://www.humanpoweredboats.com/
http://www.humanpowered.org/
http://www.humanpoweredhelicopters.org/

Yves Rossy figures the way to save energy is
to power the human instead of the aircraft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEuN0gH0Lv8

A techo-blog with plenty of 'ooooh' factor.
http://www.tuvie.com/

A super simple DIY antenna for nearby TV and/or FM radio
stations.   http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/dipole.html
More to explore.
http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/miscellaneous.html

If you live in one of the world's larger cities, or plan
to visit one soon and cuisine matters to you, here's a
resource for you.   http://www.menupages.com/

A terrific animal site for kids or senior citizens
(like me) who're in their second childhood.
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/index.html

The UCMP website contains thousands of pages
of content about the history of life on Earth.
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/exhibits/index.php

The Tree of Life Web Project (ToL) is a collaborative
effort of biologists and nature enthusiasts from around
the world. http://tolweb.org/tree/phylogeny.html

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

Sun Microsystems has long been a strong supporter of
Open Source software and has just published this
white paper entitled 'Open Source in the Enterprise'.
https://dct.sun.com/dct/forms/reg_us_0708_838_0.jsp

Linux versus Windows.
http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html

Linux is not Windows.
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Some fairly heavy duty Linux articles from David Pashley.
http://www.davidpashley.com/articles/

Internet Explorers for Linux.
http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

Linux for everyday use.
http://thoughtlounge.squarespace.com/linux-eats/

A Little Humor.

Heard or reported on aircraft:

From the pilot during his welcome message: 'We are pleased
to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry.
Unfortunately none of them are on this flight.'

 Overheard on an American Airlines flight into Amarillo,
Texas, on a particularly windy and bumpy day: During the
final approach, the Captain was really having to fight it.
After an extremely hard landing, the Flight Attendant came
on the PA and announced, 'Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to
Amarillo. Please remain in your seats with your seat belts
fastened while the Captain taxis what's left of our
airplane to the gate.'

Another flight attendant's comment on a less than perfect
landing: 'We ask you to please remain seated as Captain
Kangaroo bounces us to the terminal.'

An airline pilot wrote that on this particular flight he
had hammered his ship into the runway really hard. The
airline had a policy which required the first officer
to stand at the door while the passengers exited, smile,
and give them a 'Thanks for flying our airline.'  He
said that in light of his bad landing, he had a hard
time looking the passengers in the eye, thinking that
someone would have a smart comment. Finally, everyone
had gotten off except for this little old lady walking
with a cane. She said, 'Sonny, mind if I ask you a
question?' 'Why no, Mam,' said the pilot, 'what is it?'
The little old lady said, 'Did we land or were we shot
down?'

After a real crusher of a landing in Phoenix, the flight
attendant came on with, 'Ladies and Gentlemen, please
remain in your seats until Captain Crash and the crew
have brought the aircraft to a screeching halt up against
the gate. And, once the tire smoke has cleared and the
warning bells are silenced, we'll open the door and you
can pick your way through the wreckage to the terminal.'

Part of a flight attendant's arrival announcement:
'We'd like to thank you folks for flying with us today.
And, the next time you get the insane urge to go blasting
through the skies in a pressurized metal tube, we hope
you'll think of us here at US Airways.'

 From a Southwest Airlines employee: 'There may be 50 ways
to leave your lover, but there are only four ways out of
this airplane.'

Pilot: 'Folks, we have reached our cruising altitude now,
so I am going to switch the seat belt sign off. Feel free
to move about as you wish, but please stay inside the plane
till we land, it's a bit cold outside, and if you walk on
the wings it affects the flight pattern.'

After landing: 'Thank you for flying Delta Business
Express. We hope you enjoyed giving us the business
as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride.'

As the plane landed and was coming to a stop at Washington
National, a lone voice comes over the loudspeaker: 'Whoa,
big fella, Whoa!'

After a particularly rough landing during thunderstorms in
Memphis, a flight attendant on a Northwest flight
announced: 'Please take care when opening the overhead
compartments because, after a landing like that, sure as
hell everything has shifted.'

From a Southwest Airlines employee: 'Welcome aboard. To
operate your seat belt, insert the metal tab into the
buckle, and pull tight. It works just like every other
seat belt and if you don't know how to operate one, you
probably shouldn't be out in public unsupervised. In the
event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks
will descend from the ceiling. Stop screaming, grab the
mask, and pull it over your face. If you have a small
child traveling with you, secure your mask before
assisting with theirs. If you are traveling with two
small children, decide now which one you love more.
Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some
broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed
before we arrive. Your seat cushions can be used for
flotation and in the event of an emergency water landing
please take them with our compliments.  As you exit the
plane please make sure to gather all of your belongings.
Anything left behind will be distributed evenly among the
flight attendants. Please do not leave children or spouses.
Last one off the plane must clean it.  Thank you, and
remember, nobody loves you or your money more than
Southwest Airlines.'

Tips for This Issue.

Useful tips for effective web design.
http://snipurl.com/sxssd   [www_smartwebby_com]

Vista tips.
http://www.computercare.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108
More to explore.
http://www.computercare.ca/forum/index.php

XP resources.   http://www.updatexp.com/

Photoshop tutorials.   http://psd.tutsplus.com/

A wealth of home tips and info.   http://www.hometips.com/

An extensive tips repository.   http://www.hints-n-tips.com/

Ten tips to keep your computer running smoothly.
http://www.infohq.com/Computer/computer_maintenance_tip.htm

Contributions From Our Readers.
Links from readers are always
welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you
like (just tell me when you send
them if that's what you intended).
Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden.
( http://lookeewhatifound.blogspot.com/ )

Try something new every day.  http://tweaktoday.com/

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

Joanne Casey's weird and interesting blog.
http://joannecasey.blogspot.com/

Interesting spaces.   http://unusuallife.com/

Food, booze and nightlife.   http://eater.com/

Monty Python's song of the galaxy.
http://dingo.care-mail.com/cards/flash/5409/galaxy.swf

Cathy is a talented, multilingual young woman
who travels a lot.  This is her blog.
http://laprochainefois.blogspot.com/

Checking out the gnoshes dood.   http://foodgawker.com/

Taste of home.   http://www.tasteofhome.com/

The blog of artist Andrew Bosley.
http://andrewbosley.blogspot.com/

Jo liked the game.  I sucked at the game but liked the
music.   http://www.addictinggames.com/fireflies.html
More to explore.   http://www.addictinggames.com/

An assortment of interesting things.
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/

A colorful site.   http://www.colourlovers.com/

The foundation for fair civil justice.
http://www.legalreforminthenews.com/

Oddly fashionable.   http://www.popgloss.com/

The world's finest ads.   http://www.clioawards.com/

How many famous people can you recognize in this image?
http://j-walkblog.com/images/famouspeople.jpg
More to explore.   http://j-walkblog.com/

Journalistic boo-boos.  http://www.regrettheerror.com/

Boy, I really suck at this game too.
http://www.guessthelogo.com/

From our web-sibling Vinette (Vi) DePhillipe.

Christmas quilt and block patterns (Vi says
crafters have to start early on Christmas).
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art6345.asp/zzz

Quilting lessons and how to's for beginners.
http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.net/QuiltingLessons.htm

Our good friend Cynthia Dunn sent us a link to a musically
inclined youtube video about a piano-stairway which lead me
to this cool site with a couple more good videos.
http://www.thefuntheory.com/

Dee Jordan is a dear old friend who I think must be trying
to get even with me for some past offense.  She kept me busy
trying to hit a stupid target with Daffy Duck for well over
half an hour.  Dee, that was just mean of you.
http://www.bassfiles.net/parachute.swf

From our web-sibling John Lepse.

( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

I'm not certain but I think this is what's called a 'proxy'
site designed to insulate you (me, or anyone else) from
what some folks are already referring to as the
googleplex.   http://www.scroogle.org/
Editor's Note:  Between Google and the government I'm more
inclined to trust Google but the government certainly has
far more of my personal information and clearly treats it
with less respect.

A good video about Whooping Cranes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2C81bXu29I

John sent me one of these and I found the other because
they're something of a pair.  Really cute videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnY59mDJ1gg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYZ6rbPU2M

Thank you Patrick, Jo, Vi, Cyndi, Dee and John.

Last word, from Lisa:

We have discovered and are now using Google Voice,
which provides people with a single phone number that
can be used to reach them on their work, home or cell
phones.  It is, in essence, Internet based phone
forwarding service.  So far, the service is invitation-only.
We requested an invitation and received it in about
three weeks.  We have heard of some users being allowed to
issue invitations to others, but don't yet have that
privelege ourselves. You can, however, request an
invitation and get details here;

http://snipurl.com/syvh2   [www_google_com]

In our case, we have one land line and one basic cell
phone so our needs are not that complicated.  Google Voice
is neverthess worth having for us because of the free
long-distance (US and Canada) and extremely affordable
international rates;

http://snipurl.com/syumo   [www_google_com]

So far we love Google Voice and by all accounts,
so do a million and a half other users.  The service
has opened up some cans of worms, as have many other
technical innovations.  A few of them are addressed here;

http://snipurl.com/syvyi   [www_businessweek_com]

'Til next time,

Lisa

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549

Lisa's blog.   http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

Don at myspace.com   http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

Don's blog.   http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Sunday, November 1, 2009
1:10 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.