[donspatch] 2009-10-01

  • From: Don Crowder <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 00:18:47 -0500

#126 October 1, 2009  from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

I don't know of a more humbling or rewarding experience
than to officiate over a wedding.  To stand and look into
the eyes of two people who are taking life's most precious
step and talk them through their vows is an incredibly
moving experience.  I've played my guitar through a
monstrous Marshall stack on a huge stage in front of
thousands of people without being the least bit nervous
but standing up in front of my friend Kenneth and his
shortly-to-be wife Durenda was terrifying and, at the
same time, exhilarating.  I've done two weddings now and
one reaffirmation.  Don't ask me to preach a sermon, I
can't do it, but if you want to get married and need
a Reverend to do the honors, feel free to drop me a line.
I'll be pleased and honored to accommodate you if I can.

My friend Clenton gave me an old Kay acoustic guitar
which I've managed to patch up and restring for myself
(I'm left-handed).  I've had fun working on it.  I'll
try to have some photos up which I can link to in
our next issue.

Our sincere thanks to those of you who've taken the
time to drop us a line.  We love hearing from you.

See you next time,

Don

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

Don's blog.
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549

Lisa's blog.
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

Section One by Don.

Becoming an ordained minister isn't
as difficult as perhaps it once was.
http://www.ulc.net/
http://www.dudeism.com/
http://www.universalministries.com/doctrine.html
http://www.spiritualhumanism.org/

A destination for college kids.
http://www.campusgrotto.com/

A few goodies you can add to your website.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lookup.htm

It might take months (or longer) for something you
really want to show up on this site, but it could
happen.   http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

This site belongs to the Experience Music Project and
the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame.
http://www.empsfm.org/exhibitions/index.asp

A great site for students and teachers, from the U.S.
Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command.
http://www.navmetoccom.navy.mil/educate/neptune/neptune.htm

Having trouble keeping up with your music files?
http://www.supersync.com/

Open Source software is more-or-less a child of Linux but
it's gone way beyond that.  Many Open Source applications
are available for Windows and Mac so it might be worth
your trouble to check here before you buy software.
http://sourceforge.net/

Here's how you can keep up with the latest
spiffy web-surfing, picture-taking cellphones.
http://www.mobileburn.com/
http://www.611connect.com/

Ok, so you want to give away your old computer but
you want to make sure all your personal data is
cleaned out of it first.  Fine, if it doesn't have
a Windows sticker on it, with the 25 digit product
key on it, go get a copy of Magical Jelly Bean...
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
...run it to get the product key, print out a copy
of the product key (or write it out by hand), stuff
it in an envelope and tape it to the computer chassis.
Now you can use this little application to wipe the
hard drive completely clean!   http://www.dban.org/
Warning! This really will wipeout the hard drive
and, in the process, destroy the operating system.
Having the key will enable a computer geek to
reinstall the Operating System.

A good ESL resource.  http://www.usingenglish.com/

Any questions?
http://www.answers.com/
http://www.answerbag.com/

Materials Science and Technology Teacher's Workshop.
http://matse1.mse.uiuc.edu/home.html

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa

Beautiful X-Ray Photography.
http://www.bmyersphoto.com/BWXRAY/animals.html

We cooked shrimp this way last week and it turned
out fabulous.  We didn't bread it, but sliced our
huge shrimp in half, brushed with olive oil and
sprinkled with our special seasoning mix, and
baked for 7 minutes.  How can I find the words...
http://www.arcamax.com/wolfgangpuck/s-167549-628063

Hinduism is not just a religion, it's a
fascinating way of life.
http://sacredhinduism.com/Introduction.aspx

The articles in WiseGeek far surpass some of
the empty 'content' in some info sites.  I'm
happy to recommend them again.
http://www.wisegeek.com/

What time is it anywhere?
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/

Thirty steps to financial wellness.
http://financialliteracymonth.com/

Do you need a tetanus shot?  Oh, yeah.
http://tetanusshot.notlong.com

Everyday Ingenuity.   http://www.whynot.net/

Genealogical and historical records
and resources for world-wide access.
http://www.worldgenweb.org/

Some easy guitar songs for beginners.
http://www.guitarnoise.com/easy/
http://www.morphis.com/songs/
http://beginnerguitarsongs.net/

A costless ebook about surviving
this economic swing.
http://planzbook.com/download/

A blend of philosophy and seed packets.
http://www.seedsofchange.com/

How to teach.
http://layers-of-learning.blogspot.com/

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 372.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other informational
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://montygog.blogspot.com/
http://www.stephaniebambam.net/
http://www.perpetualartmachine.com/

http://www.metro.co.uk/
http://www.dailykos.com/
http://www.devtopics.com/
http://techfragments.com/
http://www.billingsgazette.com/app/enjoy/
http://circlingthebaobabs.blogspot.com/
http://www.thesandiegodatingchronicles.blogspot.com/
http://www.thisisoz.com.au/
http://short-fiction.co.uk/
http://www.stylehive.com/
http://www.3quarksdaily.com/
http://www.wipo.int/ardi/en/
http://www.aldaily.com/
http://www.ukace.org/index.php
http://www.api-play.org/

Section Three by Don.

The history of the U. S. Lincoln penny.
http://snipurl.com/s747u   [www_ustreas_gov]
More to explore.
http://www.ustreas.gov/education/

Americans for Common Cents.
http://www.pennies.org/

How to make insects go away and leave you alone.
http://snipurl.com/s749r   [www_ehow_com]
http://www.journeytoforever.org/edu_homer.html
http://snipurl.com/s74an   [www_supereco_com]
http://snipurl.com/s74b2   [www_diylife_com]
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/repel.html
More to explore.
http://www.journeytoforever.org/
http://www.supereco.com/
http://www.diylife.com/

Step right up, getcher million bucks.
http://www.419eater.com/

So, what'd you forget this time?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/reminder/
http://chandlerproject.org/
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
http://treeline.bellz.org/index.html
More to explore.
http://www.bellz.org/progs.html

Jason's Open Source favorites.
http://www.opensourcelist.org/

Sylpheed:  Reducing email to basics.
http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/
Claws mail is a close cousin of Sylpheed.
http://www.claws-mail.org/
[Both Sylpheed and Claws are available for
Linux, Mac and Windows]

It's really very easy to calculate U.S. postage
using the calculators on the USPS website.
http://snipurl.com/s74t1   [www_usps_com]
I became very annoyed when I couldn't find a
similar, easy to use tool on the UPS site.
I wrote them an email and complained about it
and they replied with a link to this page.
https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request

Old soaps don't all die, some of them wind up
on the web.   http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/

Here's a sweet portal.   http://www.honeyo.com/

Calculate your 'carbon footprint', learn about
eco friendly energy alternatives or have your
wedding guests plant a tree in Kenya (or
elsewhere) in lieu of a manufactured wedding
present.   http://www.carbonfootprint.com/

The carbon footprints of nations.
http://www.carbonfootprintofnations.com/

What has tobacco cost America?
http://snipurl.com/s74xw   [www_pubmedcentral_nih_gov]

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

Useful guide to tipping.
http://people.howstuffworks.com/tipping.htm

World newspapers, magazines, and
news sites in English.
http://www.world-newspapers.com/

Prohibition was an interesting time in
American History.  Think history is dry?  Not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition
http://blackclubs.notlong.com
http://www.1920-30.com/prohibition/

An intriguing answer to the dilemma of
payment for intellectual property.
http://tipping.selfpromotion.com/

Should you get that flu shot?
http://flushotnow.notlong.com

Science questions, answers and projects.
http://scienceclub.org/

Kids crafts, games and ideas.
http://www.theideabox.com/

An idea a day.   http://www.idea-a-day.com/

Need some fundraising ideas?  Here
are some good ones.
http://www.fundraising-ideas.org/index.html

Help and resources for managing back pain.
http://www.back.com/

A cool idea and an interesting blog
http://www.davidfriedmanphoto.com/
by photographer David Friedman.
http://www.davidfriedmanphoto.com/

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

This odd little commercial site offers one, but
only one, really good deal each day.
http://www.woot.com/

Woot, like any really successful commercial
website, has spawned a few  imitators.
http://www.1saleaday.com/
http://www.cowboom.com/deal-of-the-day.cfm
http://www.dealko.com/sale
http://dailydeals.target.com/

Why buy an entire fax machine when
you can just use a virtual model?
http://faxzero.com/
http://www.freefax.com/

Suppose you're away from home and computer but
you still want to hang out with your IM friends.
Here you go.   http://www.meebo.com/

Bringing headlines and twitter chatter to your
desktop.   http://sector-seven.net/software/feedroller

Assorted reading matter.
http://fiction.eserver.org/short
http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/fictionindex.html
http://www.americanshortfiction.org/

Take your latest triumph online.
http://yourtribute.com/Home.Aspx

How many of you are Monty Python fans?  Well, for those
who are, here's a blog post, with lots of comments,
which I found to be very amusing.
http://snipurl.com/s762j   [ricklibrarian_blogspot_com]

On November 30, 1972 the Monty Python comedy group aired
the Cheese Shop sketch. In the sketch 43 different cheeses
are mentioned, including Venezuelan Beaver Cheese. The
goal of BeaverCheese.org will be to explore those 43
cheeses in depth.   http://beavercheese.org/

I looked at several websites which are supposed to be
about crop circles but this is the only one I think is cool.
http://www.cropcircleresearch.com/

The internet is gradually becoming a more significant
facet of education.   http://teachvu.vu.msu.edu/public/

For years we didn't have any long distance service on my
telephone.  We used little plastic cards, bought in convenience
stores, each having a specific quantity of minutes on it.
That changed last year when we signed up with Pioneer
telephone.  Now we get a bill once a month by email.  Last
month it was ninety-five cents.  There's no minimum monthly
fee, you pay for whatever service you actually use and the
rates are very reasonable.  For us, it was a good move.
http://pioneertelephone.net/index.asp

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

Evaluate your ideas.
http://www.jpb.com/creative/evaluator.php

One-on-one help and support for US soldiers.
http://www.adoptaussoldier.org/

Deployment of US soldiers overseas.
http://deployed.notlong.com

Commerical site with lots of info.
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/

The home page for business travelers.
http://joesentme.com/

Sometimes cats just don't play by the rules.
http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/litterbox.htm
http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm
http://catpiss9.notlong.com

What's a Krink?  Is it art?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrkwjNfIqas

The US Geological Survey site has tons
of info about our world.
http://www.usgs.gov/

It's chili weather here in Texas!
Three quick and easy meat chili recipes.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Meat-Chili-Recipe-Quick-Easy
http://www.texascooking.com/features/oct2000raven.htm
http://quickchili.notlong.com

Have you heard of Oobleck?
http://oobleck.notlong.com

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

A 'heavy duty' Linux site aimed at
managers and system administrators.
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/

Linus news and resources.   http://www.rpmfind.com/

A Linux portal site.   http://www.linuxlinks.com/

A Linux tutorial portal.
http://snipurl.com/s83l1   [www_roseindia_net]

A collection of Linux information from Fermilab.
https://fermilinux.fnal.gov/documentation/tips/

Paul Anderson's extensive collection of Linux info.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Tips-HOWTO.html

Operating System news.   http://www.osnews.com/

A Little Humor.

Political quotes:

It's our fault. We should have given him better parts.
Jack Warner

When I was on my way to the podium a gentleman stopped me
and said I was as good a politician as I was an actor.
What a cheap shot!   Arnold Schwarzenegger

To those critics who are so pessimistic about our country,
I say: Don't be economic girly men.   Arnold Schwarzenegger

One of my movies was called 'True Lies'. It's what the
Democrats should have called their convention.
Arnold Schwarzenegger

It's the most important decision I've had to make since
1978 when I decided to get a bikini wax.
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Today, the L.A. Times accused Arnold Schwarzenegger of
groping six women. I'm telling you, this guy is
presidential material.   David Letterman

The first Presidential debate was down in Florida.
Residents spent all day putting plywood on their
televisions.   David Letterman

If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.
Harry S. Truman

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Harry S. Truman

Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay
away from things they don't understand, such as working
for a living.   P. J. O'Rourke

Giving money and power to government is like giving
whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.   P. J. ORourke

The American political system is like fast food, mushy,
insipid, made out of disgusting parts of things and
everybody wants some.  P. J. O'Rourke

Recession is when your neighbor loses his job.
Depression is when you lose yours. And recovery
is when Jimmy Carter loses his (During 1980
presidential campaign).   Ronald Reagan

Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there
are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always
write a book.   Ronald Reagan

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession.
I have come to realize that it bears a very close
resemblance to the first.   Ronald Reagan

A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest
burglar.   H. L. Mencken

Folk who don't know why America is the Land of Promise
should be here during an election campaign.  Milton Berle

In Washington, a man gets up to speak and doesn't say a
thing, and the other men disagree with him for three hours.
Milton Berle

You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him
think.   Milton Berle

I was allowed to ring the bell for five minutes until
everyone was in assembly. It was the beginning of power.
Jeffrey Archer

Run for office? No. I've slept with too many women,
I've done too many drugs, and I've been to too many
parties.   George Clooney

A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life
for his country.   Texas Guinan

The mistake a lot of politicians make is in forgettin'
they've been appointed and thinking they've been
anointed.   Claude Pepper

We would all like to vote for the best man but he is
never a candidate.   Kin Hubbard

Now and then an innocent man is sent to the
legislature.  Kin Hubbard

Some fellows get credit for being conservative when
they are only stupid.  Kin Hubbard

Everything is changing. People are taking the comedians
seriously and the politicians as a joke.  Will Rogers

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the
whole government working for you.   Will Rogers

The political machine triumphs because it is a united
minority acting against a divided majority.   Will Durant

In politics, an absurdity is not a handicap.
Napoleon Bonaparte

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in
politics is that you end up being governed by your
inferiors.   Plato

To succeed in politics, it is often necessary to rise
above your principles.   Anonymous

Half a truth is better than no politics.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

An honest politician is one who, when he is bought,
will stay bought.   Simon Cameron

The most conservative man in this world is the British
trade unionist when you want to change him.   Ernest Bevin

He's a nice guy, but he played too much football with his
helmet off. (About Gerald Ford) Lyndon Baines Johnson

The art of politics consists in knowing precisely when it
is necessary to hit an opponent slightly below the belt.
Konrad Adenauer

As people do better, they start voting like Republicans
unless they have too much education and vote Democratic,
which proves there can be too much of a good thing.
Karl Rove

Conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 in the attacks
and prepared for war; liberals saw the savagery of the
9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and
offer therapy and understanding for our attackers.
Karl Rove

Somebody gets to be smart and somebody gets to be dumb.
If we win, it'll be because of the president. And if we
lose, it'll be because of me.   Karl Rove

Being lectured by the president on fiscal responsibility
is a little bit like Tony Soprano talking to me about
law and order in this country.   John Kerry

Here I am in the state of New Mexico. George Bush is still
in the state of denial. New Mexico has five electoral
votes. The state of denial has none. I like my chances.
John Kerry

Tips for This Issue.

A couple of good ones here!
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/23276

A nice assortment on info from Associated Content.
http://snipurl.com/s85p9   [www_associatedcontent_com]

This site wants you to register, which I find very annoying,
but it may be worth it if you can't find an answer anywhere
else.   http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/

Security/privacy info.
http://www.2privacy.com/www/security-tips.html

How to clean a laptop computer keyboard:
http://www.computing.net/howto/simple/keyboard/
http://snipurl.com/s8l00   [www_howtocleanstuff_net]

Contributions From Our Readers.
Links from readers are always
welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you
like (just tell me when you send
them if that's what you intended).
Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden.
( http://lookeewhatifound.blogspot.com/ )

Would you like to have your handwriting made into a
font?   http://www.fontcapture.com/

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

High tech recycling.

http://snipurl.com/s8twv   [liftlab_com]
More to explore.   http://www.liftlab.com/think/

A talented robot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvZS16IxC8k

How about a $20,000 pool cue?
http://www.bornrich.org/

The internet home of artist Jenny B Harris
offers some cool stuff for kids to explore.
http://www.jennybharris.com/

An odd but interesting of blog.
http://j-walkblog.com/index.php

An ice cream blog.
http://icecreamjournal.turkeyhill.com/

Define 'insane'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LSuyLyuUiM

Jim Hill Media (blog-like).   http://jimhillmedia.com/

A pop culture magazine.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/popcandy/index

San Diego Natural History Museum.   http://www.sdnhm.org/

seasonal holiday madness.
http://www.hellishholidays.com/
http://thefuntimesguide.com/

From our web-sibling Vinette (Vi) DePhillipe.

Jinny Beyer's Block-a-Week quilting patterns.
http://snipurl.com/s8w0n   [www_jinnybeyer_com]

From our web-sibling Jerry Fox.

Red Skelton on the Pledge of Allegiance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPbIls0iOnI

Ode to Forgetfulness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lSliucgygc

Legal poop of special interest to senior citizens.
http://www.elderlawanswers.com/Default.aspx

A bucket-load of monetary info.
http://www.bankrate.com/

High flying wonder.
http://snipurl.com/s8w7a   [propilotnews_com]

From our good friend Dee Jordan.

How to beat a speeding ticket.
http://snipurl.com/s8w86   [www_subie_tv]

My waffle wedded wife.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3E9U3GDrmI

From our web-sibling John Lepse.

( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

Man decorates basement with $10 worth of sharpies.
http://www.kentucky.com/147/story/532854.html

The (science) fiction of now.
http://snipurl.com/s8wao   [www_newscientist_com]

Kids and the marshmallow test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWW1vpz1ybo

From our web-sibling Gordon Milligan.

They don't wobble and they don't fall down but
they'll make you a web page of your own.
http://www.weebly.com/

Thank you Patrick, Jo, Vi, Jerry, Dee, John and Gordon

Last word, from Lisa:

Living in Central Texas was only tough on this
Florida native in one way; no fresh seafood!  Don had
the opportunity to perform a wedding ceremony for
an old friend in Corpus Christi, TX and we exploited
the trip to get some fresh shrimp and tilapia fillets.
At the beginning of my first section is a general
description of how we prepared the shrimp.

Even more fun was the fact that I turned out to be
the de-facto photographer of the wedding.  I took as
many photos as possible, edited the better ones and
put their album on Flickr to share with friends and
family.  The captions are quotes from the ceremony
written and spoken by Reverend Don. Click on the
'browse' button at the right to see the captions
for each picture, the captions don't show on the
slideshow.

http://dandkterry.notlong.com

We had a great time and everybody caught a
cold except Ken. *sigh*

The adventure continues...

'Til next time,

Lisa

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549

Lisa's blog.   http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

Don at myspace.com   http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

Don's blog.   http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Thursday, October 1, 2009
12:15 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.