[dokuwiki] Re: tool-tip key heuristic

  • From: Ben Coburn <btcoburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:21:04 -0700

On Apr 3, 2006, at 1:10 PM, Andreas Gohr wrote:

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:34:35 -0800
Ben Coburn <btcoburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm looking into fixing the tool-tips so they show the right key most
of the time.
If you can verify the keys used by Linux and Windows browsers (and
send  representative
user-agent strings) that would help a lot.

See bug #772 - http://bugs.splitbrain.org/?do=details&id=772

I don't think this is worth the effort. AFAIK it is not only dependent on the Browser/OS combination but may be influenced by some Window-Managers, too.

I'm rethinking this a bit. I think my goal was to ensure that "non-technical users" are not mislead by the tool-tips. A "non-technical user" is less likely to know what keys to try when the tool-tip is wrong. If we assume that anyone using Linux or a less common browser is probably a "technically savvy user", this makes the problem much simpler. (This assumption can be adjusted as it becomes inaccurate.)

IMHO, tool-tips are meant to inform so a misleading tool-tip is worse than no tool-tip. While something like "Key: X" would not be ideal, it is probably better for "non-technical users" than a wrong or missing tool-tip.

Regards, Ben Coburn