[dokuwiki] plugin requires code modifications

  • From: "Jay Dickon Glanville" <dickon.glanville@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:55:32 -0500

Hello all.

I was interested in installing the S5 plugin
(http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:s5).  However, it requires a
one-line code change, plus placing a file outside of the plugins
directory (see http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:s5#compatibility).  I
am loath to use any plugin that requires code changes (what side
effects will it cause, how well will it survive upgrades, can this
damage data, etc).

Thus, as much as I might want to, I won't install this plugin.

A couple of questions:

1. Does the fact that this plugin requires code changes expose a bug
in DokuWiki, or does this reflect more on the plugin's implementation,
or both?

2. Am I blowing things out of proportion?  Should I lighten up, and
not be so cautious?

3. Has anyone else used this plugin?  Is it worth the code change?

I realize that these are rather weird and ambiguous questions.  I'm
just trying to get a feel if this is something I should go ahead with,
or wait for future changes on the part of DokuWiki and the S5 plugin.
--
Jay Dickon Glanville