[dokuwiki] RE: [dokuwiki] Re: [dokuwiki] Re: conversion of 'x' to '×'

  • From: "Metz, Bobby" <Bobby.Metz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:38:14 -0500

> >> Maybe just turn all typography corrections off?
> >> http://www.dokuwiki.org/config%3Atypography
> >
> > unfortunately, i like and use some of those :(
> >
> > also, i think that is just token to token ?  plain 'x' values do not
> > get
> > converted.  only when there are numbers next to it.
> > -mike
>
> The best way to do this is probably to create a syntax plugin that
> uses the same pattern as dokuwiki uses for multiplyentity, "(?<=\b)\d+
> [xX]\d+(?=\b)", and assign the syntax plugin a lower sort code than
> dokuwiki uses for the multiplyentity syntax, 270.

This may not be what you want, but if you're just doing hex numbers as part of
examples for user's to cut/paste, i.e. I'm assuming the hex is not part of some
explanatory text but simply example I/O for some process, then just place all
the examples in code sections.

Otherwise, I think a knob to disable multiply entity would be the preferred
solution.  At least I can't imagine that most users would assume that 0x????
should be treated as multiplication for two reasons IMHO:

First, it's not "normal" syntax as the average person would use spaces I'd
think (at least that was what I was taught in elementary school).

Second, what would be the point of showing a static multiply by zero anyway
when the result is still zero.  Perhaps a modification of multiply entity to
exclude 0x???? in the conversion is the more prudent approach.

Just my 2 cents,

Bobby