[dokuwiki] Re: adding bz2 support?

  • From: koko <huybkoen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:20:56 +0200

Andreas Gohr schreef:

Hi *!

I've got a patch from Marcel Senf to add bzip2 compression for attic
files and I wonder if it should be applied or not and if yes if we
should modify it.

bzip2 has better compression than gzip but is a little bit slower than
gzip. I'm not sure if any of these properties matters for dokuwiki. What
do you think? Do you need bzip2?

Marcel used another config option to decide how new files should be
compressed. My suggestion would be to use bzip2 always when available
and $conf['compress'] is enabled and else fall back to gzip.

I'd love to get your input on this matter, because I don't really care.

Andi

PS: yes I'm back from vacation and WikiSym. If you're interested about
my experience at the WikiSym, read my blog entries at
http://www.cosmocode.de/en/blogs/gohr/index.html?tag=wikisym2006
hi,

I don't know how much difference it would make, but if bzip2 slows down dokuwiki, I would choose for gzip. There are already some problems mentioned about the (relative) slow wiki, so we better wouldn't make it worse.

koko